CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Fishing
Viewing Topic: Lake Pocotopaug
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Lake Pocotopaug Reply with quote

I'd like to fish Lake Pocotopaug next year, but have always heard that non-residents aren't allowed to access it. I did some online research. The 2012 Connecticut Angler's Guide states:
Quote:
Lake Pocotopaug, East Hampton (502 acres)
•Note: No public access.
•Species: (LMB SMB CP WA WP YP S)
•Walleye: Daily creel limit—2, 20″ minimum length.

The 2012 Connecticut Boater's Guide states (emphasis added):
Quote:
Lake Pocotopaug — East Hampton, 511.7 acres.
Regulations: 40 mph speed limit and motorboats not to exceed Slow-No-
Wake (SNW) between 1⁄2 hour after sunset and 7 a.m. SNW within 200 feet of shore, dock, pier, float, or anchored or moored vessel unless taking off with a water-skier or within 50 feet of other vessels. Beaching of vessels on community/public beaches prohibited. All motors must be complete with proper cover. Towing or launching into the air of persons prohibited. Ski jumps prohibited without permission. A vessel may tow no more than two persons at any one time. Vessels with built-in toilets capable of overboard discharge prohibited. Portable toilets discharge prohibited.

The part of the regulations that states, "Beaching of vessels on community/public beaches prohibited.", sounds like it prevents access to the lake from Sears Park, which appears to me to be the only public park with both frontage on the lake and parking for cars. However, I looked up the relevant ordinance for the Town of East Hampton, § 173-4. Beaching of vessels, which states:
Quote:
The permanent beaching of any vessel at any public or community beach except for emergency use is hereby prohibited. The term "permanent" shall be defined as exceeding a twenty-four-hour period.

So, you could launch a boat from a public park. Unfortunately, § 246-25. Parking regulated, states:
Quote:
Parking of any vehicle in any park shall be limited to such places and hours as are designated by signs posted by the Commission or its agents. Any person who violates any posted parking regulation in any park may be issued a Town parking citation. Proof of the registration number of any motor vehicle in violation of any such posted parking regulation shall be prima facie evidence that the registered owner was in violation of such regulation. Valid Sears Park stickers must be properly affixed to all vehicles entering the park.

So, the Town of East Hampton restricts access to Sears Park by restricting the parking there. In addition, the Town of East Hampton's website states:
Quote:
Sticker Information
Residents of East Hampton may purchase Sears Park Stickers for the season beginning in April.
Stickers are sold at the Parks and Recreation Department, the Public Library and the Police Department.
The hours of operation vary by department, this information is available on their web pages.
Vehicle and watercraft registrations showing proof of residency must be presented when purchasing stickers. Please be sure to bring these documents with you.
Fees: $10.00 Vehicle, $5.00 Senior Citizen's or Veteran's vehicle, $50.00 Watercraft/Boat *$5.00 Day Pass, available at the Gatehouse in Sears Park (residents only)
* 50% of this revenue goes to the Sears Park Boat Launch Improvement Fund.

I guess that I'd have to find a resident of East Hampton who would invite me to go fishing with them, if residents are even permitted to take non-residents onto the lake. I guess that I could always violate the towns restrictions, get cited or ejected, and then sue them for violating my First Amendment rights, but that sounds like a pain in the butt to me. Confused I used to be a lawyer, but I'm not that bored. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,

I use to live in East Hampton and have fished it many times with little success.
All the above you posted is true.

Simplified -> Town waters are town waters and almost all are restricted to residents only.
State boating laws remain the same.

The lake has, for many years, had a serious algae and weed problem -> too many homes encircle the lake and run-off causes blooms yearly.

If you find a resident to give you permssion -> go ahead and give it a try -> It's not a very productive lake -> They tried to introduce Walleye some time back, but not very successfully! -> Lots and lots of dinks of all species there!

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use to fish it alot buddy of mine had a camp on it ....Never got anything worth the mention

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to be a resident of East Hampton in order to launch a boat there . Plus you have to buy a season permit that cost $65, 00 for your car and boat to get in . I know, I use to have a tackle shop there. It's all private around the lake, so you have no access from shore. I have friends that live on the lake and I go with them about 2-3 times a week. I have caught some mighty big smallies, walleyes there. TIP, YOU can ice fish there during the winter without a permit. And you can get on there after labor day but that's it.
billysenko

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaDog1, It must have been a long time since you have fished there because the alge problem has been tamed they have been cleared and the weeds were off about 4 years ago. Have been catching walleyes up to 29 inches and smallies up to 5 pounds and caught my biggest largemouth, 8 pounds from there . The best day of fishing there we caught 53 lg-sm bass between the three of us. Are we talking about the same lake?
billysenko

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaDog1, It must have been a long time since you have fished there because the alge problem has been tamed they have been cleared and the weeds were off about 4 years ago. Have been catching walleyes up to 29 inches and smallies up to 5 pounds and caught my biggest largemouth, 8 pounds from there . The best day of fishing there we caught 53 lg-sm bass between the three of us. Are we talking about the same lake?
fish4ever

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to fish it when my friend rented it a house on it for a weekend every year. Lots of yellow and white perch. Got a nice 23 inch walleye, caught multiple 3-4 lb smb and lmb there. Not a lot of bass but they were usually decent size. Swear I lost a 7 plus smb there once. Lost him at the boat.
avidangler

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree.Find a resident.My uncle lives on sears place(next to the park)
We fished it while i was growing up.smallies,largies and now walleye.His neighbor caught a few keeper eyes in the low 20's ice fishing.

I hope to go this summer.
I hope PECO meets a resident so he can get some keeper eyes.
Your P.A. may be easier to work with but,I know you love your "other woman"

Leeway and elbow room.There's plenty of water to fish!

avidanglingadventures.blogspot.com

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Phil,

My Aunt and Uncle live on that lake Very Happy Not sure what we need to do to get on it though. Does one of them have to be on the boat?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: