CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Out of State Reports
Viewing Topic: Lake Champlain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
limeymotors

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Lake Champlain Reply with quote

Spent 6 hours on saturday morning paddleing my Kayak oround Champlain in Essex NY. I was fishing for lakers but the water was rough and cold. 39 degrees F acording to my HumminBird . I found out from a local that the Laketrout don't come around until the water is at least 45F. I didn't get any fish but I had a blast paddleing the rough and windy water. I had a few locals commet on how I was a bit crazy to be out in a Kayak with the waters that rough.
After a great meal back at the house with the family I left the Kayak and headed south to Crown point and to get some catfish at night from the shore. This "city boy" out fished a bunch of the locals. I pulled in 7-10 bulhead and over 20 white and Yellow perch. Then I got yelled at for throwing them all back. I didn't know people ate those nasty bullhead or perch. I allways thought of them as a pain in the butt and they just get in the way of the Bass, Trout, and Pike. I had a great weekend up in the NorthCountry and the best part was paddleing the cold waters of Lake Champlain even though I didn't get any Lakers. Next time. -Duncan

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're a brave kayaker t be paddling in those water temps!
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know down south they go crazy over any catfish. They love eating catfish. And for perch, theyre pretty good tasting but i usually throw them back too. Theyre easy to skin as well.
PECo

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can catch lake trout (aka lakers), now, but I think that you have to drag the bottom pretty deep to get them, usually with downriggers. If you want to see how it's done, charter a trip with Captain Mickey Maynard, at www.LakeChamplainAngler.com. He's a terrific fishing guide. As much as I love fishing, he loves it even more.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorthEastFisherman wrote:
I know down south they go crazy over any catfish. They love eating catfish. And for perch, theyre pretty good tasting but i usually throw them back too. Theyre easy to skin as well.

I have a southern grandma living in the apartment next door to me and she loves perch and catfish. She says both fish are very popular eating down south.
iversonbaby

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

being from Vermont. I loved fishing for sheepshead with crawfish from shore. plus they get in excess of 30 pounds in there along with sturgeon and lakers..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Out of State Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: