CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Schoolhouse Pond, Thompson 6/16
View previous topic :: View next topic  
therieldeal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Schoolhouse Pond, Thompson 6/16 Reply with quote

Battled the wind all afternoon in my kayak, boating probably 15-20 LMB all ~1 pound or smaller in size.

At one point I paddled to the far north end of the lake, where it drains into a stream. I found a couple guys there fishing off the culvert, where the stream passes under a road. One told me that on his first cast he hooked something "huge", and it ran for the weeds and broke him off. I left the area because there wasn't a lot of space for 3 guys to fish.

On the way out i left via this road, and stopped at the culvert. After half a dozen casts I too hooked into something big! Luckily, I recently re-spooled with 15 lb braid (first time using braid, loving it!). I was able to horse in a chunky 3 pounder in VERY tight quarters.

The whole point of this story is... when i finally lipped the fish, i found that he had someone's texas rigged senko and about 3 feet of red ~6 pound mono trailing out of his mouth! The hook looked brand spanking new...

Still searching for some toothy critters big enough to be worth weighing...
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! I'm glad to hear that someone had a good day of catching.

Quite frankly, I expected all of the reports from today to be like the ones I'm going to write, namely, that the fish were in a funk and the bite was off. I must have been fishing in the wrong part of the state. Confused

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wacky rigged zoom finesse worms were the ticket today! Nary a bump when I tried anything else.

therieldeal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the majority of my quantity of fish today came by dragging the wacky rigged worm over lily pads, like you would a frog. When I'd see a strike, i'd stop my retrieve and let it sink until they picked it back up. Worked surprisingly well, and with a circle hook there was no hook set to worry about.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: