CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater Reports
Viewing Topic: Great night of fishing on the Blackhawk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Great night of fishing on the Blackhawk Reply with quote

The forecast was for rain and a good ebb tide. We headed out to Race Point at 8:00pm, and I personally was hoping to finally get in some better fishing, with a shot at some big stripers. I love going out on the Blackhawk's night trips a few times a month, as it gives me a chance to fish areas I otherwise wouldn't in my skiff, and always holds the opportunity for some really big fish. With a limited number of angler on these trips, more time is spent fishing and less dealing with tangles, etc. I probably went out on 4-5 of these trips last season, as well as a few Happy Hour 4-10pm excusions, and a Diawa Demo trip. I can tell you that I came home with a cooler of striper fillets on every one of them, and on three brought home the pool as well.

We had a pretty good group headed out, with several of the guys having done a lot of night drift fishing. It's not as easy as it seems, or some make it out to be. If you've fished the Blackhawk, you've heard Capt. Greg's pre-game speech. Keeping your rig feathered on the bottom during fast drifts without hanging up or collecting other lines takes practice. Some guys will snag and lose $10 worth of lead and jigs every other drift. Others will never stay in the strike zone after initial contact with the bottom. Last night, I think all but 1-2 of the 18 anglers on board had multiple fish. While I've been on trips where we caught a greater number of fish, I've never been on one where the quality was better.

I came back with a cooler full of striper fillet's, but I swear Capt. Greg was drifting me over the guppies! My biggest keeper at around 40" wasn't even going to put me in the top 10. We had about an hour stretch where each fish over the rail seemed to get bigger than the last. A guy with a 45 pounder was looking pretty good, and nine nights out of ten would be collecting the pool. Out of the water comes a 48, followed by a 56 to 57 pound fish. A few more in the upper thirties and lower forties weren't even in the running. I can tell you, the mates Matt, Nicki and Alex did an awesome job, as not one of the big fish was lost to tangles, angler inexperience or at the net.

For some reason, Matt just got left out of all of the pictures!
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sick trip !

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those fish should be going back... taking fish like that in times like these is crazy
fishfinder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice fish but I do wish like on the trip I went on last year that the big girls went back.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfinder wrote:
Nice fish but I do wish like on the trip I went on last year that the big girls went back.

I'd like to see the big ones go back and almost always practice catch and release, but while I get where you're coming from, I don't think
Amotha wrote:
it's crazy in times like these
From a previous post
Amotha wrote:
hey dont be bashin on blain!!! have you seen what that guy catches??! the guys a freakin pro
I can tell you that he takes more big fish than the just about anyone. While he practices catch and release, his clients usually want the big fish.

In some year classes, the numbers are quite high, as illustrated by the bonus vouchers available the last 2 seasons. The reality is for most of the people that caught them it's the fish of a lifetime. The survival rate is pretty minimal as well once over the rail, even if you wanted to release it. Big fish get taken every day as stripers are a huge recreational target. I'd love to see more released, but am not going to crucify those that keep them. The big fish drive the recreational industry up here, and if it weren't so, there probably wouldn't be any left by now as commercial fisherman would have wiped them out. I wouldn't be opposed to slot limits on keepers, or designated "trophy" fish like in the Bluefin fishery, but right now that's not going to happen. Best thing would be to get them federal game fish status.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
fivestring

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RNA, awesome that you got in on this incredible trip. I read about it on another site. Must have been something to see so many big fish in one night. I wish there were restrictions on how many big fish one person or one boat could keep in one night. Even one over 40" and one 28-40". Or X over 40" per boat. More low 40 inchers would be released in hopes of a cow. It's tough to know that a party boat the size of the Blackhawk can get onto a bunch of big fish and every patron will keep 2 30+ lb fish. I know that it was an exceptional night, doesn't always happen, etc. Even still. Again, congrats for getting in on this awesome trip!
RobO

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW.. I have never caught a striper over 32 inches. Catching on of those cows would be a dream come true.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: