CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help
Viewing Topic: transom transduser
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tav1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: transom transduser Reply with quote

Evidently the prior owner installed the transom transduser inside the hull shooting thru, is there any difference between that and a thru hull transducer or can they look the same? Just had it out last night and seemed to be OK on the water , but when I was at the dock the water was at least 3' and it read 1 foot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

catch and release...#1 priority

we all live down stream once in a while and walking on water is a rush.
SAP284

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: transom transduser Reply with quote

tav1 wrote:
Evidently the prior owner installed the transom transduser inside the hull shooting thru, is there any difference between that and a thru hull transducer or can they look the same? Just had it out last night and seemed to be OK on the water , but when I was at the dock the water was at least 3' and it read 1 foot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes the in-hull do not read sonar as well as the traditional transducers. The reason why you are seeing the feet difference is because the "keel offset" needs to be adjusted. Depending on your model, you might be able to adjust it. Your transducer is reading from the water surface to the bottom. Is it not measuring the distance from the top of the surface to the transducer - that's why. If you can measure what the offset is, you should be able to adjust it. Find out where your water level line is usually on your boat. Measure from that line to your transducer and that would be the offset that you are missing.

I only know all this stuff because the past 2 months I've been doing tons of electronics crap, and transducer installation lol.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i'm looking at it right , i think the water line is about .....maybe a foot higher than the trans ...you think that sounds right in theory ?

SAP284

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tav1 wrote:
if i'm looking at it right , i think the water line is about .....maybe a foot higher than the trans ...you think that sounds right in theory ?

Next time your in the water bring a permanent marker. Mark the water line while its in the water, right before you are about to take it out. Mark it a tad above the line because you don't want it to wash off quick or marking underwater. Measure it when you get home and adjust it. You can simply wipe off the mark when you are done with rubbing alcohol or bar keepers friend.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok....thanks for your help.

angry john

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think water below the keel to be more inportant that total water depth. I do the offset in my head, but to each there own.
tav

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I bought this boat it was in the water and theres a good water line (till I clean the boat) ....obviously the ducer is below that water line ,I've been looking and tinkering with those numbers this morning in my driveway at the depth settings, now I noticed it will only go neg. to about 1.6 feet and then start blinking (possibly the driveway?) then I back it off to 1.4 and no blinking and thinking should put in a neg.number.

see if I got this right , on most if not all boats your ducer is allways below the water line...right? so I would allways have to put in a neg. number.
SAP284

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tav wrote:
when I bought this boat it was in the water and theres a good water line (till I clean the boat) ....obviously the ducer is below that water line ,I've been looking and tinkering with those numbers this morning in my driveway at the depth settings, now I noticed it will only go neg. to about 1.6 feet and then start blinking (possibly the driveway?) then I back it off to 1.4 and no blinking and thinking should put in a neg.number.

see if I got this right , on most if not all boats your ducer is allways below the water line...right? so I would allways have to put in a neg. number.

Maybe. Not a good idea to be messing with the transducer too much while its out of water. Make the measurements, and if its adjustable then do the electronics part while its in the water.

All boat transducers are below the water line. They need to be for an accurate sonar reading. They also need to be clear of aerated bubble water as well. I put a plate on the back on my boat so if I ever need to adjust the transducer and move it, I'm not drilling tons of holes in the boat but rather into the board.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: