CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Carp Fishing in CT
Viewing Topic: First Attempt at a Carp Trip - Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: First Attempt at a Carp Trip - Getting Started Reply with quote

First, thanks Justin for all of the tips. Just going to throw the post from the other string in here. Was hoping to get a few fish (even a blind squirrel gets a nut now and then), but I got skunked. I did go all in, leaving my bass rods at home so I wouldn't be tempted to throw in the towel and switch. I made up my method balls which were a bit too wet as I ran short of oatmeal. Lesson #1, buy more and improve those! The location that I was fishing has been crawling with carp the last week or two, but they were spread way out today. There were carp in the area I was fishing, but most were out of range. I need to get a few of the basic tools for threading kernels or boilies on a hair rig. I came across http://www.harrissportsmail.com/. Are there any others? Does anyone sell decent bulk bait, or do you really need to be Betty Crocker to fish these things? I despise getting skunked, so now I really have to catch some of these things.

JustinSolak wrote:
RNA: A few tips to keep in mind for your outing.

If you haven't pre baited the area, first thing you wanna do b4 anything is bait up. Don't over feed em. I'm not sure where you're fishing, but don't be fooled by the endless amounts of bait we pile in. Usually a bucket the night b4 and a trickle throughout the day. Few balls or scoops here and there. But thats for a weekend session. For a short session, throw in maybe a dozen balls. If its an area you know has a lotta carp, feel free to be a bit liberal with it.

Check your method balls (balls of oats, corn, etc) b4 throwing a bunch in. Make a small ball and throw it in right at shore and keep an eye on it. You WANT it to break down relatively quickly. 5 minutes is prime, but 10 or 15 is alright. If they don't break down, you have a bunch of big balls of bait out there the fish can't do anything with. Usually means too much moisture. Not enough moisture and they won't stick together. One way to tell is it shouldn't stick to your hands.

It may take a bit for the fish to get on the feed, but when they do, you'll know. Watch for subtle line movement. Usually means a fish is playin with the bait or at least moving around the vicinity of your line.

Lastly, if you do start hittin fish, keep the bait goin in. Hit a fish, throw a few more method balls in. Another fish, some more bait and so on. The biggest mistake you can make is not continuing to feed em. I know, it sounds a bit counterproductive, but they're feeding machines. Especially in spring and into fall. Fish are on average 20-25% heavier in the fall than in summer. They gorge on food b4 winter. Not keepin the bait goin in can be the difference between a 1 fish and 10 fish session.

Remember, really mucky bottom you wanna bit of a longer leader. 10-12 inches. But method balls on your weight will help out as well. And for anyone looking to do some carp fishing, method balls, pack baits, stick baits, they're a must. It allows the fish to see a pile of food rather than pick out those two kernels of corn you got on your hook.

DEFINITELY let us know how you do. If ya don't hit anything, maybe we can help ya figure out what you did wrong. If you DO hit fish, maybe we can help ya catch more Laughing

Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
JustinSolak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try http://www.bigcarptackle.com or http://www.carpkit.com
Those are the two sites that i use personally. Jim and the guys at BCT are usually really good about getting you things on time, roughly 4 days for us in CT.

As far as bulk bait, i mean they sell kilo bags of boilies, all sorts of method mixes, pack baits, ground baits, etc. And the choices are endless. But before you go crazy with all the flavors and baits, definitely take the time to learn the basics. You most certainly don't have to be Betty Crocker to make bait. We go to places like Tractor Supply Co, Agway, or any other Farm Supply Store. Buy a big bag of maize and you got bait for a while. Soak it for a day, boil it for an hour, and let it cool for a day in the water.

The good thing about the maize, or what they refer to as whole corn, is that not only is it cheap (12-15 bucks for a 50lb bag) but it almost doubles in size. Really plumps up. And when you pull it off the burner, or right before, you can add flavors into it. Liquid flavors, salt, sugar, kool aid, you name it. One thing I've done in the past was taken some good pieces or maize out of the finished batch (as a lot do split and are rendered useless on a hiar rig) and added oil and flavor to it. Into a small mason jar it goes and in a day or two, you have brightly colored corn with a strong flavor. When you're using maize to bait up too, flavored kernels will stand out a bit. To give you an idea, one 50lb bag of maize will give you two 5-gallon buckets worth. Four 5-gallon buckets worth after it's all prepped. So now the multiple 5-gallon buckets of bait doesn't seem so crazy does it? Laughing

If you have a canoe or kayak, it makes life so much easier to get bait out. Then you can use cracked corn, which is essentially maize run through a food processor. Same price as whole corn, but no need to soak and boil. Just boil water and dump into a bucket of cracked corn. Watch out, because it'll expand like crazy. And a few days in the bucket and it starts stinkin. May smell bad to you, but the carp love it. If there's carp in the area but not in the area you're fishing, a stonger smelling feed or heavier flavored feed may just draw them in. If a canoe or kayak is outta the question, look into a Spomb. It allows you to launch piles or corn, seeds, pellets, etc out a good ways. 50-60 yards easy. CT Outfitters in Wethersfield has all the basic stuff you'll need to really get started if you don't want to wait for an order to come in.

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. Need a break from the salt as my fish per gallon of fuel is killing me. Plan on doing some carp and smallmouth fishing the next week or two. Thanks again for all the advice.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Carp Fishing in CT All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: