CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help
Viewing Topic: 2009 mercury 50 hp 2 stroke
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redhawk1623

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: 2009 mercury 50 hp 2 stroke Reply with quote

I recently bought a 2010 bass tracker with a 2009 50 hp 2 stroke merc...what do I need to do to get it ready for spring which is right around the corner..thanks
nories

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start it..see how it runs..see how water is flowing in cooling system..should spit water at a steady rate..I would change the spark plugs..make sure you have good or newer batteries..check all connections..go through everything and make sure everything works..also check your lower end fluid.should look like honey..not milk..I. Would change your fuel filter..take prop off and check for any fishing line wound up on the shaft..grease it good and put it back on..also check your trailer..tires.bearings.lights.bunks.cracks on trailer..also make sure you have all your safety goods.life jackets.whistle.fire ext.rope..make sure your lights work..good luck ..Jim
redhawk1623

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! What about the carburetors?
nories

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start it..when is the last time it ran? Carburators should be fine..you might have fuel injectors..I don't know..but run it..don't rev it..and put ears on it with a hose to give it cooling water..or put it in a garbage can full of water and keep cool water running into it
rvolkers

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bought an old tracker for my son 3 years ago! (with a 50 merc) - i decided that since you can be sure what you told these days about something you buy it would be best to take it to a SERVICE location and get the motor TOTALLY tuned and set-up!

it was not expensive and to tell you the truth THE BEST MONEY i ever spent! nothing better than getting on the water in a boat you own that you have confidence in!
rvolkers

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="rvolkers"]i bought an old tracker for my son 3 years ago! (with a 50 merc) - i decided that since you can NEVER be sure what you told these days about something you buy it would be best to take it to a SERVICE location and get the motor TOTALLY tuned and set-up!

it was not expensive and to tell you the truth THE BEST MONEY i ever spent! nothing better than getting on the water in a boat you own that you have confidence in![/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: