CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Best way to Weigh your catch?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RF813

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Best way to Weigh your catch? Reply with quote

Do any of you use anything to weigh your catch?

I'd be looking to use something that isn't harmful to the fish because I prefer to catch and release, but not sure if anything would fit the bill.
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Ego compact slider net on which the net detaches (i.e., unscrews) from the extendable pole. The net by itself weighs one pound. I used it to weigh a catfish that was too fragile to hang from a hook. I've thought about weighing big northern pike the same way. but haven't caught one worth weighing in a while. Rolling Eyes I just hang smaller fish from the hook of one of my digital scales. I have three of them; a Berkley, a Rapala and a Cabela's. I just bought the Cabela's Digital Mini Scale because it's cheap (i.e., $12.99), compact and takes two AAA batteries, instead of button cells like my other scales.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Digital-Mini-Scale/1587594.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dscale%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26x%3D0%26y%3D0&Ntt=scale&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a dumb question, but what is the best way to use that hook? I'd think putting it up through the gill could A. Damage the gill, and B. if the fish flops, it could send the fish to the ground. And piercing another hole into the lip isn't something i'd like to do. (but i've actually seen online....(maybe for keepers?)

I was looking at this, which doesn't appear to be too harmful to the fish.
http://www.wired2fish.com/rapala-lock-n-grip-25-pound-digital-scale-review/
RF813

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, after reading more on the rapala's, people seem pretty adamant that they're not made well, or as well as a Boga.....

Thoughts?

Again, I want the least amount of trauma to the fish and to get it back into the water without any issues.
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RF813 wrote:
Also, after reading more on the rapala's, people seem pretty adamant that they're not made well, or as well as a Boga.....

Thoughts?

Again, I want the least amount of trauma to the fish and to get it back into the water without any issues.

Rapala - $25.00
Boga $100-200

Apples to Oranges.
If your fishing freshwater, a Rapala is OK. If you spend time in the salt and don't want to purchase a new grip scale every season or two, consider a Boga or similar quality grip. Just don't drop it overboard! Very Happy
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
RF813

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info!
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RF813 wrote:
Maybe a dumb question, but what is the best way to use that hook? I'd think putting it up through the gill could A. Damage the gill, and B. if the fish flops, it could send the fish to the ground. And piercing another hole into the lip isn't something i'd like to do. (but i've actually seen online....(maybe for keepers?)

You need to make sure that you slip the hook up underneath the gill plate and not between any of the gills. Largemouth bass usually don't flop too much when you do this. Smallies, though, always seem to flop right off of the hook.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: