CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: The ice sheet cometh...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
androux

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: The ice sheet cometh... Reply with quote

Going to be cold the NW hills, ice will be forming. I told a guy at work with weather like this, someone will be on Winchester this weekend, I will temper that, but if the temps stay low, I can't imagine there won't be hard water by next weekend. I Don't think this will be a warm-out like the last few seasons, going to get cold and stay there till, oh, maybe late Jan. Short thaw with snow, then back on till March.

I'll start driving around soon, poking Litchfield Co. ponds close to work, tell ya what I find. Lookin' forward to ice season, I can't remember when I got on before Xmas, let alone New Yrs...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was out Sunday with my spud bar. I found a few;places locked up. With any luck I will be out in the next few days.
Wicane07

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: was thinking the same Reply with quote

saw the weather report too, was thinking dog pond in goshen will probably be the first if you want a panfish fix like i do.
if either of you guys get out be sure to post about it!!
i'll do the same
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: was thinking the same Reply with quote

Wicane07 wrote:
saw the weather report too, was thinking dog pond in goshen will probably be the first if you want a panfish fix like i do.
i'll do the same

I have TONS of fun jigging up lots of crappie at Dog and it's usually one of the first lakes in NW CT to lock up safely, other than Tyler
Wicane07

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you think of Tyler? I've never really had a great day there, what's the secret, mind you I jig with waxworms
fishville

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: was thinking the same Reply with quote

Wicane07 wrote:
i'll do the same
There already guys on the ice. Granted it isn't any of the popular ones.
androux

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't really like Tyler, really weedy even in the winter, at least it was last year. Parking sucks in the summer, let alone with a bunch of snow mounds in the winter. Only caught trout there in the spring, picks and small perch in the winter. Much better waters around the area IMO. As for which waters... that's another convo.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Places that are weed filled through the winter months especially are hard as hell to fish.

I am not talking about your occasional hump of weeds I am talking about weeds that wont allow you to jig or drop your bait down with out getting hung up in the weeds.

Winchester seemed decent the one time i went in the summer. Well we basically caught just about all of our fish on live bait.

I hope to at least check one place this week depending on how snow covered it is.
For those who post reports with locations I will return the favor (when i get out)

Too much of this i fish and show pics but, mother nature is my wife so im not telling u what lake im on.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope to get up to dog or Tyler Tuesday . I am a fan of Tyler, do well with bass in the weed flats, just like Ball. I never hear anyone doing well for trout there, I know they stock it .
Michael

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yellows and smaller pickerel are what I jig a lot of at Tyler. Bass no bigger than 2 pounds enjoy the shiners. Gotta look for a hole in the middle or good drop off near shore.

One lake I hate ice fishing is Mamanasco. Those weeds in there NEVER die!
perfect hook set

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mamanasco isnt that bad we fished it last year and found plenty of places to drop line
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: