CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing
Viewing Topic: New to ice fishing.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
terriblefisher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: New to ice fishing. Reply with quote

Hey all, I live right near Tolland CT. Anyone have any good locations I can try out? I've never been ice fishing and looking to get into it this year. Ideally would like to catch pan fish but whatever works i guess.
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're just getting into ice fishing, one important item you always must wear is cleats or corkers.

When I first started I didn't have a pair and slipped a few times, with one almost injuring my back.

Any questions on gear and tactics, feel free.

Sorry I live in the busy southwest corner and not familiar with the quiet northeast corner.
Scott M

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: New to ice fishing. Reply with quote

terriblefisher wrote:
Hey all, I live right near Tolland CT. Anyone have any good locations I can try out? I've never been ice fishing and looking to get into it this year. Ideally would like to catch pan fish but whatever works i guess.

Coventry lake. Crystal lake in Ellington has salmon but takes a while to freeze.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: New to ice fishing. Reply with quote

Scott M wrote:
terriblefisher wrote:

Coventry lake. Crystal lake in Ellington has salmon but takes a while to freeze.

Snow adds weight to the already thin ice. Check the ice every few feet with a spud bar and drilling holes helps sometimes to. Dont forget to wear propper safety gear, PFD, Ice picks, Cleets, A whistle... Straight from the CT DEEP Anglers Guide for 2013 "Ice Fishing: Not more than six tip-ups, floats (bobbers), similar devices, or hand-held jigs or any combination thereof not exceeding six in the aggregate may be used at one time. Persons under sixteen years of age may use not more than two devices. Not more than three baited hooks, with or without attractors, or three ice flies, or three artificial lures, or any combination thereof not exceeding three in the aggregate may be used with each tip-up, float (bobber), or similar device or hand-held jig. Devices must be personally attended. The name and address of the user must be legibly stamped on or attached to all devices."

Be smart, Fish safe, Catch big!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick heads up:children under 16 can use six tip-ups as well. used to be only 2 Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: