CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Carp Fishing in CT
Viewing Topic: Michigander looking good Carp fishing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anna

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Michigander looking good Carp fishing Reply with quote

Hi everybody! I'm a tackle-shop owner and Carp-fishing bum from Lansing, Michigan, and I'm planning to visit family in Norwich in April. The trip is not supposed to be all about fishing, but I'm rather hoping that I might have a chance to go after Carp while I'm in the area. Does anyone have any suggestions as far as venues and/or bait choices? I'm also interested in other "course" fish: suckers, eel, gar, Bowfin, etc.
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not familiar with lakes in the eastern part of the state but the Thames river might hold carp, eels, and suckers.

Bottom baits such as corn, dough balls, and clusters of earth worms would work.
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin Solak will hopefully chime in here, or send him a pm.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
JustinSolak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shetucket river in Norwich is good. Access is somewhat limited but definitely worth checkin out. I don't recommend corn for that time of year as the water will still be relatively cold and they havent put the feed bags on yet. By all means, tip your bait with it or a piece of pop up corn, but dont feed too much with it. Can of sweet corn or creamed corn in the feed and that'll do. As far as feeding goes, mostly easily digestible foods. Quick oats and some boilies in a pinch. Boilies for bait. I suggest a range of flavors and colors to try out. Carps eyesight dimishes in the cold, so my first bet would be brighter colors, hence recommending tipping your bair with a piece of pop up corn. I'm surprised Mike hasn't chimed in on this (CarpFishin860) hes got a bit more experience fishin there early season. Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.
Anna

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys! Turns out I'll be staying within walking distance of the Greeneville Dam on the Shetucket, and the cousin I'm staying with is excited to show me around, so I should have plenty of opportunities to scout things out! I am not used to using boilies; in the Lansing, MI area, they NEVER seem to produce well. What flavors are best in the Spring? Also, a little off-topic, what types of "weird" species might I encounter? Would there be Eel in there in the Spring?
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck yeah there's eels in the spring. I cant wait til april to get some of those monsters for skins !

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are loads of eels in the spring. from 3in to 3ft and anywhere in between. I never target em, but we made the mistake of using sandworms in the harbor and got plagued by em in the spring, though it was may

Anna

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, Eel's just as cool as Carp to me!! We get a few of them in the Great Lakes, but barely any. I think I can only think of one report, out of Lk. Huron. We have that one mounted on our wall (It died before it could be released. Sad )! Because they're so rare here, I have never even SEEN a live one! I'd be giddy as a kindergartner if I caught one, even if it was tiny!
JustinSolak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They used to be a nuisance here. I grew up not far from our largest river here, and as a kid, i remember my father and uncle gettin em all the time dunkin worms on bottom. Pretty much trying to catch anything BUT eels. If you have time while you're up here, try to make a trip to Cabela's in East Hartford. It's about a 45 minute drive from Norwich, but it's right up route 2 and the have a big aquarium with a few monster trout, stripers, carp, cats, and yes, eels. Big ones at that.

Anna

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, cool, thanks!!!!! I'll check it out if there's time! But, since this IS the Carp section ( Laughing), here's a Carp-related question: Boilies have been recommended to me for early Spring Carping in the Norwich area. Are there any particular recommendations as far as flavors are concerned?
JustinSolak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm... something with a lot of scent. Pineapple is always a favorite. but boilies are just for easier digestion with the cold water. try to ask again when the time gets closer. may have some first hand recommendations from what's producin for us.

Carpfishin860

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy! Ive fished the shetucket a few times and from what I can gather at that time of the year it can be rather fast moving and high due to snow melt throughout the region. With that being said I put out a message to a buddy of mine named Matt that lives in that area and has spent a considerable amount of his carp fishing experiences fishing the shetucket. He told me april may be a bit early for the greenville dam but is worth a shot. He recommends oats along with nuts as bait, id say tiger nuts would be a good bet. The shetucket is known for being rather snaggy loaded with rocks and branches so I wouldnt suggest using ur most expensive end tackle or top of the line carp leads. Id also recommend popping up what ever selection of bait you choose at least a couple of inches to help keep out of any cracks in between debris. If you choose to use any plastic baits which i would certainly do on one rod id roll with Matts advise and have them puppies soaking in some kinda nutty flavoring. Matt also told me if that spot doesnt work out well he would avoid going down river and head up river to the occum dam and set up below that. With all of that being said if the conditions are right the shetucket holds a healthy population of carp including reasonable odds at hitting a mirror unlike a lot of the waters Justin and i typically fish in our area. On a side note Connecticut has no gar and im not sure their are any bowfin in that river system although they can be found in the Connecticut river. Also norwhich harbor is a rather popular spot for striped bass fishing through out the year. You get alot of hold overs in the thames river over the winter and into the spring and then you get more running up from long island sound in the spring. Thatd be a good opportunity to try for eels and striped bass at the same time if you get the opportunity. Hope this helps out in some way and if you manage to land any carp on your trip youll have to post the results here in the forum!
Anna

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news! Thanks so much, everybody! I think my plan will be to use small, pop-up pineapple boilies and/or maize and/or tigernuts, on the simplest, cheapest Carp set-up I've got, plus to have some worms and/or minnows and/or bucktail jigs for the Eel and Stripers. Won't have time to get very serious (Crazy cousins, you know . . . Laughing ), but I'll give it a shot! Of course, I'll keep on checking up here for more up-to-date info. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Carp Fishing in CT All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: