CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: removed the skunk at Wooster Pond 4/24/14
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coastieyaker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: removed the skunk at Wooster Pond 4/24/14 Reply with quote

I showed up at Wooster around 7:45 pm.
The wind was gusting very strong.
I started throwing a 3 inch wacky blue senko no avail.

Headed over to the other end around 8pm and observed a tremendous amount of activity on the surface. I think some sunnies were going to town on some bread thrown in the water before I got there. (the same people left their bag of bread on the ground so i took a few seconds and threw it away for them)

I got to talking with a guy who mentioned he had caught a bunch of sunnies along with a few smaller bass earlier in the evening. He was switching between a medium size fly rod that he practices with and a light action bass rig. I forgot what he was using for lures.

A few minutes after he left I switched over to a pumpkin 3 inch senko on a offset gama hook, not sure of the size. Low and behold, I felt the tap-tap, and reeled in an approximately 1lb lmb. I released it and packed up my things a few minutes later.
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: removed the skunk at Wooster Pond 4/24/14 Reply with quote

coastieyaker wrote:
I showed up at Wooster around 7:45 pm.
The wind was gusting very strong.
I started throwing a 3 inch wacky blue senko no avail.

Headed over to the other end around 8pm and observed a tremendous amount of activity on the surface. I think some sunnies were going to town on some bread thrown in the water before I got there. (the same people left their bag of bread on the ground so i took a few seconds and threw it away for them)

I got to talking with a guy who mentioned he had caught a bunch of sunnies along with a few smaller bass earlier in the evening. He was switching between a medium size fly rod that he practices with and a light action bass rig. I forgot what he was using for lures.

A few minutes after he left I switched over to a pumpkin 3 inch senko on a offset gama hook, not sure of the size. Low and behold, I felt the tap-tap, and reeled in an approximately 1lb lmb. I released it and packed up my things a few minutes later.

Why are you still throwing those tiny three inch Senkos, Pete? Try a five incher rigged wacky next time. You'll still catch some short largemouth bass with it, but you'll also catch some keepers. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil,
Good point, but I gotta tell you, I haven't had the best luck with the 5 inch senkos.

However, I think I bought a poor color, the orange flake version.

I should try the watermelon pumpkin seed and see what that does for me.

By the way, now that I dont have to lug the Nucanoe around,and bought a standard size fishing kayak when are we going to finish our tour of the Seymour res #4?

I also want to check out colebrook asap.

I will pm you with some dates
bdiggy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can say what you want about the 3", but in this cold water, I have outfished my partner so far in our first 2 trips in numbers and size. With the finicky bite, at least if they grab the end instead of the middle of the Senko, the hook is much closer on a 3" then on a 5". Got 2 2+ lb LMB and a number of 14-24" pickerel in the last 2 weeks, all on slow moving 3" senkos.
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you're saying that little Senkos are better, Bryan? Guys with little Senkos always say that. . . . Laughing

Seriously, I read a study once that determined the ideal size for a largemouth bass lure is five inches in length. I'm not saying that you won't catch fish with a three incher. I just think that five inchers are more effective. I kayak fished for a couple of hours last Tuesday. I missed a couple of fish that were too small to get the entire Senko into their mouths, one of which I pulled two feet out of the water before it let go, but the biggest of the three I boated was 3-3/4 pounds:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would never say they're better. I love the 5" myself, but have just had much better luck with the 3" in this cold early season. Trust me, as soon as it's warm enough to throw the spinnerbaits, the Senko (no matter what size) will be put into hibernation. I hate slow fishing!!
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bdiggy wrote:
I would never say they're better. I love the 5" myself, but have just had much better luck with the 3" in this cold early season. Trust me, as soon as it's warm enough to throw the spinnerbaits, the Senko (no matter what size) will be put into hibernation. I hate slow fishing!!

Horny Toad!!!! Very Happy I already tried. Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually fish the senko all year round, I definitely don't like having to slow roll spinner baits, I like to burn them through weeds and cover myself, it's a challenge to slow down this time of year

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: