CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Higher end Fishing Rods? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't go wrong with Shimano or G loomis for spinning rods. They are made by the same company and the warranty blows everyone else out of the water! For casting I like team daiwa but alot of guys are throwing kistler these days.
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto what Chuck said. The ones Chuck mentioned are good rods but I'm a Team Daiwa man also. Just luv those green sticks, right Chuck!
Pappy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a St. Croix Tournament Series guy until I tried the Shimano Crucial at the encouragement of Mike Kane down at Tournament Force Tackle in Guilford. I love 'em. There about $80 cheaper, better backbone and offer a lifetime unconditional warranty.

My son broke the tip off one last summer after only a couple of months of use and Mike replaced it no questions asked. My son-in-law at the end of the season broke the tip off my St. Croix TBS Tube Rod and it cost me $50 to get it replaced and $20 in shipping. That rod costs $220 today. The Shimano counterpart at Tournament Force $149.

I've bought Shimano from then on both spinning and baitcasting. I don't think you'll find a better rod for the money and for $149 will get the job done!

Walt
Justin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all around the Shimano Crucial are the best for the price. The Loomis are awesome rods, but the price is way high for many people. I've had many different brands, from All-Star, St. Croix, Quantum Tour Edition PT, to Castaway and each have their pros and cons. The Quantums are about the same price as the Shimano Crucial, but the Quantums have way too many defects...handles/cork, guides and reel seats breaking for no reason. Once I need to replace the rods, I'm going with Shimano.
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got rid of all my other rods that werent shimano clarus and bought all new ones. I even got rid of the shimano convergence, even though, to a weekend warrior, they are good rods, and have lifetime over the counter also.

Now all i have is shimano clarus. Granted, clarus is the lower end rod, they are very nice rods for the money. Specialy when you get deals on them.

Just picked up the last 2 today at tournament force. Now i have all ten im gonna need Smile

Im sure, and ive felt them at TF, the higher end shimano's would be nice rods too, but i cant justify the price increase for the same weekend warrior stuff i do.

Any way you go about it, anything in shimano is gonna be a nice setup

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rookie makes a good point about the cost and the warranty. It's available on a number of the lower priced models. I just bought the lowest price model with the warranty to get my 15 year old started in baitcasting. I think it was a Clarus. I know it was around $40. (He breaks a lot of tips Rolling Eyes ). The lower priced models are not quite as stiff as the higher priced, generally a little lighter than the rating on backbone (a MH is more like a M on the higher priced rods). But where can you find a rod in that price range with a lifetime unconditional warranty? Tournament Force has the whole line in stock. Mike's in Guilford on the Post Road (exit 57 of I95 coming from NH). If you get a chance go down and check them out. You should call first though (203) 453-2200 because he's finishing up his shows for the next two weeks so the shop is a mess and only open the first couple days usually. By first week in March he should be back to normal and restocking all his inventory.

Walt

Last edited by Pappy on Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walt, I think you meant exit 57 off of I-95 not 91. Wink
Pappy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch!

Indeed!

I'm not even sure there is a exit 57 on I91. I know Bradley is exit 40.

I changed the post as well.

Thanks for the heads up.
Just4fun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for Crucials! IMO,..when you factor everything in, including the warranty,..I believe they are the best bang for the buck in that mid-price region for rods!

ps: They are also available at Cabelas,..and I know D i c k s used to have them too,..not sure about now though!
Pappy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sevnseat,

If you would be wililng to hold off your purchase until the first Saturday in April, I'd be happy to take you out on Lake Housatonic and let you fish with my Shimano rods to get a feel for them. I'll even bring the Clarus with me I bought my son. If your concerned about the backbone, I think the Crucial would be a better choice. I might get out on the lower river before that depending upon what my schedule looks like and what the weather is. If you'd be interested in either send me a PM with your contact info.

If your dad can't get one, you could order it from Mike, pre-pay for it and I'd be happy to pick it up for you. I can't see Cabela's providing the same type of service he does, if you should need it. I live in Derby, which should cut your trip in half. I'm out a Mike's quite a bit as I work in NH and it's only about a 15 minute ride for me.

Walt
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This site has a great group of guys! Its nice to see these days!

I'm real proud to be on this site.

Marc

Just one more cast...
Pappy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Derby, not Darien. About an hour from most Northwest Hills locations.

I'm sure Mike would ship it if needed. Shipping rods gets expensive though because of the odd size. I wouldn't be surprised if it added $20 to the cost. If I get a chance to get out in the near future I'll send you a PM. It'll be for schoolie stripers on the Housey, which can be fun. I'll bring those rods if you can go.

You can email Mike through his website located at www.tfbass.com.
He's still posting pictures and information on all of his inventory to the new site.

The page for the Shimano rods is

http://tfbass.com/osCommerce/catalog/index.php?cPath=20_574_699

I do have his cell number if you want to talk with him at the show as well.

If I can be of any help, just let me know.

Walt
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lowest end rods with the lifetime over the counter no questions asked, (at participating locations) is the shimano convergence. D ic ks carries them as well as cabelas and tournament force.

The convergence is the $40-$50 range,
The clarus is the $60-$70 range.
Then there is the compre, which ranges between $80-$90 (or 90-100?)
Then the crucial. Range of $120-$130 i think
There are others in those that cost a tiny bit more, but those are such things as drop shot rods, flippin sticks, specific action rods.

Any, and i mean ANY, of those rods including the convergence are all anyone not on a trail is gonna need. I someday might be able to upgrade my rods, and shimano offers even higher dollar rods than those listed. But thats basicly all your gonna need.

Also, basicly, anywhere you go, the prices are the SAME. The theme seems to be, anything 6 foot 6 inch and under is the lower end of that models price range. 7 foot and higher, up to 7 foot 6 inch is the higher price in its range.
They do have some longer ones, but the prices go up buy a little.

Tackle warehouse is a good place! Sure, its not local, but its a ton better than going to cabelas!! I noticed, at cabelas, most of the rods i was interested in were only offered in 2 peice, rather than one. Alot they didnt even have.

Tackle warehouse also has FREE shipping on orders over $50! So, buy that $70 rod, no tax, no shipping.

I got some deals at D i c ks when i bought some convergence rods last year. I used those spend 50 get 10 off coupons. I dont buy from there unless i have that coupon Smile You simply cant beat that deal anywhere.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, also. I was at Tournament Force just yesterday picking up 2 spinning clarus rods ive been waiting months for.

Dont bother going there for another month. There was exactly ONE rod on the rod shelf. You would be better off going to the springfeild show and seeing them there this weekend.

The 3 baitcast rods i was also supposed to get, i didnt need anymore. I lost my job and ended up keeping a 6'6" i wanted to upgrade to a 7'. I also picked one up from another member for a little lower price.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rookie wrote:
Oh, also. I was at Tournament Force just yesterday picking up 2 spinning clarus rods ive been waiting months for.

Dont bother going there for another month. There was exactly ONE rod on the rod shelf. You would be better off going to the springfeild show and seeing them there this weekend.

The 3 baitcast rods i was also supposed to get, i didnt need anymore. I lost my job and ended up keeping a 6'6" i wanted to upgrade to a 7'. I also picked one up from another member for a little lower price.

hmm who might that be? i have 3 crucial spinning and 3 bc's. they are a great rod and warranty for the money. you also get a light and sensitive rod. my kistlers are much lighter i think. all depends on what you want to spend. get what feels right to you and what suits your style of fishing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: