CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater
Viewing Topic: Dipping a toe in saltwater....
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ctmrxmas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Dipping a toe in saltwater.... Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

I have been a freshwater angler forever. I always wanted to get into salt, but for one reason or another it just hasn't happened yet. I was recently given a surf caster set up and a rod with a Penn 210 reel.

My knowledge of saltwater fishing is in its infancy. I was hoping that you good folks could help me out with advice on all aspects, from rigs, bait (what to use and where to get it), equipment and miscellaneous items that are needed/nice to have, how you transport your stuff to the water (carts buckets etc), what tide is best to fish (high tide, low tide, or between tides etc) and anything else you think would help.

My only experience with saltwater fishing is, I went a few time to the causeway in Old Saybrook years ago and used my bass rods to catch snapper blues. I was thinking about going there as my first adventure, mostly because I have been there before and know how to get there. lol

I have just purchased 2 and 3 ounce weights, 3/0 bait hooks, 70lb swivels and 20lb mono line for the reels and a small cheap saltwater lure that looks like a herring. I was figuring possibly using that lure on an old bass rod setup to possibly catch bait.

I thank you in advance for any help you can give!

Steve
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, do you plan on being a chummer or caster?
Ctmrxmas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may have to be a trial and error type learning curve. I watched a bunch of youtube videos (for what that is worth) lol.......wish me luck. Laughing

Last edited by Ctmrxmas on Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Ctmrxmas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael.....If I knew the difference I might be able to tell you. lol
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He means are you going to fish bait or use lures?
Gotta remember this guy fell off his bike a few times Razz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL. I will probably do both. I didnt end up being able to go today, too many things came up. I might try to go tomorrow afternoon. I did some watching of youtube videos and made up some double hook live bait rigs. I will probably find a bait shop near the shore and ask them what I should buy. But, suggestions would be appreciated. Very Happy
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casters (aka lure fishermen) use a whole variety of lures. Some have bigger setups because they only want to catch big fish (serious angler), while others have basic setups and something for lighter action (avid angler looking for fun).

I'm very good with online shopping, Ebay, and Googling different products, so send me a PM telling me what your price ranges are for rods, reels, and line and I'd be happy to help you find what you need for a casting setup and excellent deals for lures and gear on Ebay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: