CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Trout Fishing
Viewing Topic: Eisenhour Park, Wepawaug River scouting report 5/6/14
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coastieyaker

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Eisenhour Park, Wepawaug River scouting report 5/6/14 Reply with quote

I have been frustrated with the lack of trout fishing in my area and had remembered some reports Michael provided on Wepawaug River and Eisenhower Park.

I grabbed my UL 4'6, fishing vest and cigar and took the drive there to do a scouting mission.

I arrived at 745pm and spoke with some locals in the parking lot about good access points. After talking with them for a few minutes I walked down to the river, and was delighted with what I found.

The Wepawaug reminds me of the Hockanum River up in Manchester/Vernon, which is where I first learned how to fish for trout.

Although I didn't make it far in to the trails along the river due to darkness, I am very excited to do some exploring in the upcoming weeks.

I left at 8:30 and nearly avoided getting sideswiped by an oncoming driver on the Merritt connector. The things we will do for a good fishing spot!!

Cigar for the trip: Gurkha Black OPS
Cd662

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure most of the river "up" from the soccer field is a waste of time, I've never caught anything but golden shiners there. I've heard that there are trout farther down. I've caught some interesting fish in the Wepwaug at different points but I'm not sure how much suitable holdover territory there is.
Mikezilla89

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't fished the wepawaug much this year yet. The one time I did go I caught a couple of small yellow perch. The fishing there is excellent if you know the right spots. Last year I spent some time exploring the river when it was running low, started at the conservation area and worked my way up to the bottom of the reservoir. I've caught YP, LMB, Pickerel, and loads of lure-swallowing fallfish, all on smaller rooster tails. There's some good holdover spots, just gotta know where they are. Explore, explore, explore. Mill River in hamden has some good sized brown and rainbow trout still.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Trout Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: