CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Need advice for inexpensive surf-casting gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RTownsend

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Need advice for inexpensive surf-casting gear Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I'm going on vacation to Nantucket in a couple of weeks and wanted to give surf-casting a try. Every year when we go I see plenty of people hauling in tons of bluefish, probably other types as well. I'm looking for an inexpensive yet decent rod and reel combo for the trip. Not really looking to break the bank as I'll only really be using it a few times a year.

I mainly do freshwater fishing but was wondering what you guys recommend I buy for this. Really bottom line here is a big 2-piece (important so it can fit in the car and I will be carrying it on the ferry) pole that won't snap, and a reel strong enough to pull in a bluefish as cheap as possible. Thanks! Very Happy

edit- forgot to add that a spinning reel would be better, both my brother and I will be sharing this while we are there and do not have any baitcasting experience and I don't want to learn in the wind and surf there to be honest haha
Genesis2245

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the 1st question would be what you consider inexpensive. You could do something like a Penn fierce combo for about 100 before lining it. Personally I am not to thrilled with the fierce but it will not break the bank. I use a ST Croix triumph surf with a Penn Spinfisher that I am really happy with but that would run you about 300.
Do you plan on wading into the surf or staying back on the sand? If on the shore I would aim for an 11 of 12 foot rod so you can get the cast distance. A 9 or 10 will work if you are wading out a bit.
RTownsend

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I should have specified how expensive I meant, looking to spend around $100 if possible. What model Fierce would work for this? I was actually just thinking I could take the 5000 I have and swap it but is that too small of a reel?

Thanks for the reply
Genesis2245

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 5000 may be a little small. You would want either a 7000 or 8000 imo. You will be casting a lot of line out to start and having the larger reel will help to bring it in faster when you need to do to the reel diameter. The Fierce rod comes largest as a 10' I believe. I may be wrong but have not seen longer. It will still give you a good cast distance. Are you planning on throwing bait or lures?
RTownsend

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genesis2245 wrote:
The 5000 may be a little small. You would want either a 7000 or 8000 imo. You will be casting a lot of line out to start and having the larger reel will help to bring it in faster when you need to do to the reel diameter. The Fierce rod comes largest as a 10' I believe. I may be wrong but have not seen longer. It will still give you a good cast distance. Are you planning on throwing bait or lures?

From what I was reading the 5000 is just a bit too small for this but I was just hoping it might be ok, while not ideal, just for the week. Oh well. We weren't really set on bait vs lures, probably give both a shot. We're both just interesting in trying it out for the week and maybe snagging some dinner Smile
Genesis2245

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at Dicks the other day and they had a few cheap combos in the 60- 80 range with line on them. While not a great combo you could use the rod from it and have the reel as a backup in-case you 5000 didn't work. Worth taking a look at.
RTownsend

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice that's a good idea. I'll make a trip up there this weekend and check it out, thanks a lot!

Looking forward to fishing there, if anyone has been to Nantucket we'll be fishing the South shore at Miacomet Beach. Does anyone have any tips for this kind of fishing? Anything will help, I have like zero saltwater experience Shocked
Genesis2245

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I should mention. I saw those combos at the Dick's in Canton. Not all of them carry the same things so you may wanna call ahead depending on which one you are going to. Have not fished that area myself but I wish you the best of luck.
RTownsend

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genesis2245 wrote:
One thing I should mention. I saw those combos at the Dick's in Canton. Not all of them carry the same things so you may wanna call ahead depending on which one you are going to. Have not fished that area myself but I wish you the best of luck.

Thank you. I'm only about 15-20 minutes from the Dick's in Waterford and there are a few other places up there I could check so it's worth the drive. Last year some guy was fishing for bluefish and caught a 7 foot shark Shocked Shocked Shocked

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/07/130717-sandbar-shark-nantucket-elliot-sudal-surf-fishing/
RTownsend

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What techniques do you guys suggest for bluefish? Chunk bait on a fish-finder rig on the bottom or lures on topwater or just below???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: