CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater Reports
Viewing Topic: X-Rap Walk at it Again
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:41 pm    Post subject: X-Rap Walk at it Again Reply with quote

Had a hard time falling asleep overnight Sunday so I decided to head down to Seaside seeing high tide was scheduled for 7:40am. Brought my 7'6" light powered setup with me.

Started off at Breezy Point once the skies got brighter. Nothing was going on until 6am, which was when a quick bite turned on before turning back off. I landed a 20" schoolie on a glass ghost XRW-9 and lost a bigger fish with it. Saw a chummer next to me land a small blue and a sea robin and get 2 other hits during the same time period.

Headed over to the Fayerweather jetty seeing it was getting closer to high tide. Nothing happened on both sides no matter what I threw.

Walked farther out onto Fayerweather Island and saw scattered schools of bait being chased farther out. 1 looked like it could have been bigger stripers chasing newly hatched snappers or big bunker. Most others looked like those 1 to 4 pound blues chasing smaller minnows. Never got into anything out on the island.

Went back to Breezy Point but nada so I hit the road around 10am.

Later is when I switched gear and put my waders on to hit the honey hole for the low and incoming. Low tide was scheduled for 1:30pm. Setup was 7' Sea Striker/Pursuit II 3000/30 pound Spiderwire Stealth. Decided to stick with the lure that has been catching them there, which is the bone chartreuse XRW-13.

After 10 or so casts I get a huge explosion and set the hook. The fight was on and this striper felt heavy. Landed a very chunky 29" keeper that had a belly full of bunker and snappers. 10 or so casts later and I see a big fish come shooting up and grab the Rapala. This fish felt like a nice blue. Saw it do 2 huge head shakes out of the water. Landed an 8 pound cocktail blue.

Once I landed the bluefish is when things quieted down and tide started getting too high to be staying out there.

Headed over to the city ramp but didn't see any bunker on the surface and had no swirls or explosions.

Hit the road around 3:30pm.

Between the 29" striper being just over 13 pounds and the bluefish being a cocktail blue, both fish gave me just about the same feeling of pull and fight with the setup I was using. Just goes to show how much energy a bluefish has vs a heavier striper.

20" stripers are so much fun with a lighter setup

Biggest bluefish so far this year

29" keeper loaded with bait. First keeper ever caught in the heat of the summer.
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you get home with 20lbs of fish on your bike?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crest Daddy wrote:
How did you get home with 20lbs of fish on your bike?

A group of guys were helpful to me with 1 of them being a former boy scout. The former boy scout put the 2 fish in a heavy duty garbage bag and was able to wrap the rope stringer around it to keep it held tight onto the mid frame of my bike.

Once I got to the bus terminal I asked for 2 extra garbage bags and unwrapped the stringer from the bike so I could carry the fish onto the bus and bring them home.

I'm lucky that as long as I have the bag(s) tightly closed, the bus drivers don't have a problem.
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got it !

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have taken a pic of the bike and fish. I've seen thousands of guys holding blues or stripers, but NEVER one of fish lashed to a bike frame!
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
insomnia11

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have!!....a bunch of times!!
the chunkers fishing down at battery park in nyc used to do that...and more!
these guys fish at the staten island ferry dock.it's very deep with wicked currents....4-6oz sinkers to hold bottom!!!!
i've seen 40" plus bass slung from the middle frame or from opposite shoulders.
the local guys ride bikes.the guys from harlem to washington heights take the buses.. but mostly the subway
battery park's been closed since last year for renovations so i have no clue where those guys fish now...i wish i did Crying or Very sad
MAN!!!!they catch some HUUUUGE bass at that dock!!

hey mike!!
my new fishing "buddy" did pretty good at breezy saturday and sunday Wink
she caught some 11" porgies and a 15 1/2 fat-ass fluke!
she released everything but two porgies!!
even the fluke got a pass Smile because it was a weee short!
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insomnia11 wrote:
i have!!....a bunch of times!!
the chunkers fishing down at battery park in nyc used to do that...and more!
these guys fish at the staten island ferry dock.it's very deep with wicked currents....4-6oz sinkers to hold bottom!!!!
i've seen 40" plus bass slung from the middle frame or from opposite shoulders.
the local guys ride bikes.the guys from harlem to washington heights take the buses.. but mostly the subway
battery park's been closed since last year for renovations so i have no clue where those guys fish now...i wish i did Crying or Very sad
MAN!!!!they catch some HUUUUGE bass at that dock!!

hey mike!!
my new fishing "buddy" did pretty good at breezy saturday and sunday Wink
she caught some 11" porgies and a 15 1/2 fat-ass fluke!
she released everything but two porgies!!
even the fluke got a pass Smile because it was a weee short!

I'm sure they must do something like that up on the canal as well. I've seen some pretty wicked fishing bikes.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also seen a few fishermen with rod holders attached to the mid frame of their bikes holding anywhere from 2 to 5 rods!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: