CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Keeney 8/9
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imsafanct

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Keeney 8/9 Reply with quote

I had a chance to fish for a couple hours Saturday late afternoon from roughly 3:30PM to 5:30PM.

I hit the North portion of Keeney Cove from shore, fishing near the Putnam Bridge tunnel area. It was breezy, sunny with clouds and warm. The water level is definitely down to low mid-Summer levels.

I threw spinnerbaits, Keitechs, a horny toad and a texas-rigged green pumpkin tube. Nothing. It wasn't until I decided to get risky and threw a green pumpkin/red flake wacky-rigged senko at a thick, nasty laydown that I got some action.

I hooked a modestly-sized largemouth and had to crawl out onto one of the laydowns to get him untangled from the sunken branches. I fell in up to my knees on the crawl back but I was able to keep the bass hooked and got him back in safely as quickly as I could. The hard work put a smile on my face.

After I got myself composed, I threw back into the same laydown and felt another bump. I wasn't sure if I missed the fish or not but I set the hook anyhow. As soon as I did, the drag on my Stradic CI4+ started to scream. I had me another bowfin, my third of the year. And he was BIG!

I somehow managed to wrestle him up over more branches and got him to shore. I gripped the fish with my Bogagrip and removed the hook from his mouth. The Bogagrip showed him weighing 5lbs. even. Very cool! Not the usual fight due to him being hung up in branches but enjoyable nonetheless. I got him back in the water and I was done after that.

When I'm by myself, I'm always more concerned with getting the fish unhooked and back in the water ASAP so I'm not thinking about photos, but oh well.

Because I've gone so much this year, I've learned a lot. And as the seasons and conditions change, I keep right on learning. I now know that in the heat of the Summer, on bright days, the fish are held up tight to cover. And the nastier, thicker, harder to fish cover, the better. It's a bit more work to fish these areas, but it's worth it and fun.

-Eric
bdiggy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Really love to get my first bowfin at some point!
imsafanct

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bdiggy,

If you feel like fishing Keeney, PM me and we can plan a date. You are out near Winchester and or Bantam, right? Those waters are on my list to get to before the end of the year. Maybe you can show me either one of those lakes as well?

Thanks.

-Eric
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bdiggy wrote:
Awesome! Really love to get my first bowfin at some point!

Ditto. I got close once.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imsafanct wrote:
Bdiggy,

If you feel like fishing Keeney, PM me and we can plan a date. You are out near Winchester and or Bantam, right? Those waters are on my list to get to before the end of the year. Maybe you can show me either one of those lakes as well?

Thanks.

-Eric

I'd love to, but work all but Monday, and that's the day my friend and I hit the lakes. So many spots to fish, so little time to do it! Sad
bobby buggs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I read we were supposed to remove them from the river and give the to F&W for research??. I dont think they are a good thing for our fishery
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobby buggs wrote:
Thought I read we were supposed to remove them from the river and give the to F&W for research??. I dont think they are a good thing for our fishery

That's a directive for potential snakehead. Just look at the anal fin to tell the difference.

http://www.floridagofishing.com/_images/fish/snakehead-bowfin-usgs.jpg
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Those Watermelon/Red Flake Senkos Whacky Rigged almost always work in a pinch. On windy days throw a 3/16oz weight on the hook or use a small jig head to get it down.

Have yet to catch a Bowfin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: