CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Keeney bass love Senkos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imsafanct

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: Keeney bass love Senkos Reply with quote

I had 30 mins. to fish between getting off work yesterday evening at 5:00PM and a doctor's appt. at 6:00PM. I hit the Putnam Bridge tunnel channel at Keeney like I usually do. I've been doing very well with 5" green pumpkin/red flake Senkos at Keeney this year.

Last night was no exception. I threw the Senko across the channel into a laydown and started working it off into the center of the channel nice and slow. All of a sudden BANG! Super hard hit. No need to set the hook. After a great fight, I landed yet another big largemouth. It's unreal the quality of bass I've caught at Keeney this year.

The first photo is of the bass that I caught last night which weighed 5lbs. even, according to my Bogagrip. The second photo is one of three 3ish pounders I've caught there this year, also on a Senko. The other two came on a chrome Mag Force Rat-L-Trap and a chartreuse spinnerbait.

-Eric
Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bass!! I'm not from the area but I work in East Hartford so I'd love to check that spot out at lunch or after work but I'm not familiar with the area. How do you access that area and where can you park?
imsafanct

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpio,

I park on Point Rd. and walk North along the Eastern shore of the cove until I get right up to the narrow channel of water that runs into the tunnel under the highway. The channel has rip-rap on both sides which the bass hang near.

-Eric
Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Eric. I looked at the map and I see where you are talking about. Might be too long a walk for a lunchtime visit but I'm going to swing by and check it out ahead of time. I hope there is a decent trail to walk on. The trees look pretty thick from the Google maps aerial view. Those cove waters look pretty good. Is it worth the effort to launch a canoe in either side of the cove? Thanks again. Scott.
imsafanct

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott,

The walk from Point Rd. to the highway is 5-7 mins. There really isn't a path, but the trees have done a nice job of keeping the undergrowth light. You may have to setp over a fallen tree or two and sometimes it can get a bit soft/muddy, but that's it. It's a quick, easy walk.

If you have a canoe or a yak, use it here. You'll be able to get all over the cove as compared to being limited fishing from shore. There is a "launch" on either side of Point Rd. so you can head North into the main part of the cove and fish the portion I do near the highway or you can launch South and head out to the CT River. I've had all my luck in the portion of the cove North of Point Rd, around the highway/tunnel. I haven't really fished the portion South of Point Rd. because it gets narrow and shallow quickly as you make the bend out to the CT River.

I've had luck with Crankin' Raps, spinnerbaits, Senkos, Rat-L-Traps, Roboworms, my Yozuri 3DB jerkbait, a Strike King Hack Attack jig and my Lucky Craft Sammy at Keeney. You'll catch largemouths, bluegills, pickerel and crappie mostly, but there are also pike, catfish, carp, perch and bowfin there.

Good luck! I hope you slay 'em!

-Eric
Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks for the detailed info. I'll definitely check it out. Got the next week off to hang out with my two boys before they head back to college so we'll try to get there. Never caught a bowfin or a carp so maybe it will be interesting. Thanks again Eric!

-Scott
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: