CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater Reports
Viewing Topic: Labor Day
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Labor Day Reply with quote

Hit the afternoon incoming at Seaside on Labor Day. Had my 7' Star Rods Aerial Jetty Surf with the Pursuit II 4000/30 lb Spiderwire Stealth rigged on it. 3 lures I threw were pearl grey shiner FLR-16, fire chartreuse SSP-12, and bone white custom 5" 2 oz wooden popper.

While the tide wasn't even half way in and I was casting on the beach side of the jetty by my usual fall striper spot, I got into a small school of tailors with the SSP-12. First explosion resulted in losing a 3 pound tailor on the jump just in front of me. Next few casts resulted in 2 explosions. Switched over to the custom popper to see if action would make a difference. Had 1 explosion with the wooden popper which was the biggest of them all. The school then disappeared.

With it being a warm, hot, humid day with light winds and strong sun, the bugs were very bad out on Fayerweather and the last few yards of the jetty.

I kept working both sides of the jetty but nada. Jet skiers were causing lots of waves on the beach side once tide got higher.

Next stop was the rocks by the pier. Water eventually stirred up in 1 area where there has been bluefish and bunker action. This time the blues kept the bunker by the boats and didn't get close enough for my 2 ounce popper vs other times recently. No swirls or explosions on both poppers.

Went to the city ramp to see what the action was like. Schools of bunker were right out there but I could tell from the splashing that nothing much was chasing them. Still casted out there even on top of them but nada.

Once I left the ramp I went back over to the rocks just to check on the action and saw nothing much except for that 1 school staying around the boats.

Went to Breezy Point where there were many snapper people but had room in 1 spot for casting. Casted with the custom popper but nada.

Hit the road around 6:50pm.
Cd662

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try varying up your retrieves, Mike. You should be getting hookups. All of the 'explosions' you mention are all misses and I know you'd rather be hauling fish in!
sonamcobain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject: Penfield reef labor day Reply with quote

Was at reef yesterday, Still having night mares about loosing the biggest fish i could i have ever had.

Was there with my friends and didn't bring much of set up as they were there only for swimming.

Had a bucktail, with a set up that john skinner has described in his book, and was working my way catching sea robbins after sea robbins. it was when i saw a big swirl and there had the fish. It probably must have been a striper as it didn't go crazy like a blue fish.Loosened the drag but it started peeling it like nothing so decided to tight it, that was my biggest mistake shouldn't have tightened it so much and there bam it was after a good 5 minutes i loose the fish. Still having nightmares about loosing it coz i have never felt something that heavy upto now in my amateur career of angling.

i really wanted to stay longer but my friends had no interest in fishing so had to leave.
So so so comming back Reef has always been my favourite spot.
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Penfield reef labor day Reply with quote

sonamcobain wrote:
Was at reef yesterday, Still having night mares about loosing the biggest fish i could i have ever had.

Was there with my friends and didn't bring much of set up as they were there only for swimming.

Had a bucktail, with a set up that john skinner has described in his book, and was working my way catching sea robbins after sea robbins. it was when i saw a big swirl and there had the fish. It probably must have been a striper as it didn't go crazy like a blue fish.Loosened the drag but it started peeling it like nothing so decided to tight it, that was my biggest mistake shouldn't have tightened it so much and there bam it was after a good 5 minutes i loose the fish. Still having nightmares about loosing it coz i have never felt something that heavy upto now in my amateur career of angling.

i really wanted to stay longer but my friends had no interest in fishing so had to leave.

The next time it happens you will know better and maybe land the fish.
Your drag should be set before your first cast of the day. Maybe i will run into you over there sometime and help you do so.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cd662 wrote:
Try varying up your retrieves, Mike. You should be getting hookups. All of the 'explosions' you mention are all misses and I know you'd rather be hauling fish in!

If they're not hitting, I won't just try different sizes, colors, and lures, but I vary the retrieve Wink
sonamcobain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Penfield reef labor day Reply with quote

Crest Daddy wrote:
sonamcobain wrote:

The next time it happens you will know better and maybe land the fish.
Your drag should be set before your first cast of the day. Maybe i will run into you over there sometime and help you do so.

Hopefully next time lesson learnt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: