CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater
Viewing Topic: Problems drifting the Race and Plum Gut
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riverrat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Problems drifting the Race and Plum Gut Reply with quote

Hey guys, have a quick question for you. I just recently bought my new boat (26’ Center Console), and I’m having problems figuring out how to fish the race and Plum Gut for striped bass and blues. I have the gear and tackle all figured out with no issues, but I’m having problems figuring out the drift itself. Last weekend (8/9 & 8/10), I tried both flood and ebb tides. I am not able to hold bottom with 24oz of weight. I was using 50# PowerPro braid and a 3 way rig with a 4oz bucktail tipped with pork rind.

Is there any way to hold bottom without stemming the tide with the boat motor? I’m typically fishing by myself, and stemming the tide is way more trouble than it’s worth. In addition to the added stress of keeping the drift straight, you constantly have to watch out for other boats that aren't stemming from running into you.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I've been out on friends boats and they never seem to have the same troubles I’m having.

Thanks in advance!!
Pauleye

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: 3 waying Reply with quote

You should be able to drift effectively with 12 ounces or less, unless you are fishing at the peak of a full or new moon tide. I avoid Plum and Race at these tides. Run your boat up-tide (upstream) to just beyond the rip (reef). Turn the boat and point is downstream. Freespool your weight to the bottom, as soon as you contact bottom, then engage the reel and give it one full crank. Watch your fish finder and keep the sinker 1 crank off the bottom when going up the reef. Drop the sinker until you hit bottom on the down side and keep repeating the drop to keep the sinker a few feet off the bottom.

Other thing to consider:
Rule of thumb is 2 cranks but that started when reels had 3:1 gear ratios at most. My reel is 6:1 and 2 cranks will pull the sinker and bait too far off the bottom. Adjust according to your reel.

Go from braid to about 10 feet of 60 lb leader to 3 way swivel. A lighter, 12" piece of mono for the sinker and a 5' to 6' length of 60 lb leader to your hook of choice. hook an eel through the head.

If you are using bunker then the water resistance on the bait goes way up and you will need lots of weight to get it near bottom. I would fish bunker only near slack.
RobO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great advice Pauleye!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: