CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater Reports
Viewing Topic: Blood = Blues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Blood = Blues Reply with quote

Took a nap starting around 6:30pm Monday to find myself awake around 4:45am Tuesday. Looked at the tides, the forecast, and water temp so I hit the road arriving down by the ramp around 7:45am.

As the tide was coming in nothing was going on no matter what I threw.

Headed out onto the jetty and out to Fayerweather Island which is when south winds picked up. NWS was originally predicting light and variable winds under 5 kt. Didn't have any luck out there.

Later is when I head back over to the ramp to find bunker getting active and 2 chummers live lining. As the afternoon went on and tide was getting lower, blues were destroying the adult bunker. During the first run is when we started noticing red color in the water coming from the school. Another live liner came which is when all 3 guys were into the bunker. I couldn't get anything to hit any topwater I threw even right on top of them. I was able to snag bunker closer to shore by using a plug and then rigging it on a large treble I had with me. 1 bunker came off on its own by the ramp and 2 swam into parked boats over by the Brewster St ramp.

Took a lunch break downtown and then come back to find the water much calmer with those 3 guys still there. Witnessed 1 of them land a 15 pound gator with live bunker while other bunker got chopped in half.

Once they had left, it was after sunset, and bunker were farther inside is when things turned on again. Fish were pushing the bunker back out which is when I snagged another bunker and rigged in close to the tail before letting it swim out to the schools. The bunker took 2 quick runs and felt some pull once I tightened the drag but it seemed like the stripers had taken over.

Hit the road around 7:45pm once my line got chopped by a boat.

Live lining bunker by the city ramp isn't worth it unless you have it facing more towards the southwest. The big thing is boat traffic going through the feeding frenzy causing the same fishermen to lose lots of line, leaders, hooks, etc every year.

As of this weekend, water temps have hit 69 which now has the blues in their most aggressive stage.
Sea Duck

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May not be a bad idea to chunk one of those freshies, unweighed. Solves the steering problem and sometimes that can be more productive than live bait.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good report, thanks for sharing. Blues and stripers will be fat and happy this fall, there are tons of huge bunker pods by me, but not much on them yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: