CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Kayak Fishing
Viewing Topic: Mattabasset Maiden Voyage
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AVec80X

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Mattabasset Maiden Voyage Reply with quote

I've owned my new yak for 3 weeks and have yet to get it in the water. This morning was in the 30's with 10-12 MPH winds, but I was determined to get out. I dressed like I was going skiing and headed over to Mattabasset in hopes of a Pike bite.

The new Perception Pescador 100 is awesome! Great stability, I love the high seat setting and with scupper plugs in it's bone dry in the chop. Fortunately, I thoroughly enjoyed just being on the water, because the bite was non-existent. I sat and watched a Bald Eagle soar above me for 15-20 minutes. With the river still up 2-3' I was able to adventure into some back waterways and small channels that are typically too shallow to yak. I saw 3 Pike in less than 12" of water during my 4 hour adventure, but they wouldn't touch a thing. I threw everything at 'em...no action...typical of the spawn.

The CT River was SO close to 50º last week, hopefully the sunshine and 60's forecasted for later this week boost the temp. Patiently awaiting the bite to turn on.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on getting the new yak out. where'd ya launch on the Mattabassett? I go by a section of it every night on my way home from work, would love to throw the ya in.
AVec80X

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 2 public launches:

24 Shunpike Rd, Cromwell, CT 06416
The dirt lot beside Dunkin Donuts. There is a walk in launch in the rear of the lot. Check the tide table, it can be ridiculously muddy getting in/out near peak low.

Middletown Recycling Center, Johnson St, Middletown, CT 06457
Right when you cross over the railroad tracks and the recycling center is in front of your take an immediate left into the dirt parking lot. The new launch into the Coginchaug River is in the back. It's roughly a 300 yard paddle down to the Mattabassett from there.

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mattabesset is always hit or miss for me. I was there last Friday and missed, but my buddy Dan hit it big with a four pound, nine ounce smallie.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Kayak Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: