CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater Reports
Viewing Topic: Same Lure....Same Spot....Same Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Same Lure....Same Spot....Same Time Reply with quote

Hit the outgoing at the jetty and Fayerweather Island Sunday afternoon into the evening arriving around 3:30pm. Winds were a wicked west and northwest making Black Rock Harbor and open areas south and west of Fayerweather choppy.

When I got to the parking area I saw a usual surf caster who was about to walk out so we fished together for a while as we kept an eye on the birds and water. I threw the SP-9, XRW-11, and 4" 1 ounce custom popper. He threw bigger pencils and swimmers. Both of us never got into anything as the afternoon went on.

Once sunset got closer and the other caster had left, I hung out around the area I got into the evening bite on Saturday. Birds were working the entrance to Black Rock Harbor but it required a 12 foot rod, 60 pound braid, and a 3 ounce topwater due to the wicked west wind. When the sun hit the horizon I threw the shad SP-9 out in the same spot at Saturday. Third cast resulted in an aggressive 20" schoolie. This young one did a lot of shaking and wouldn't stay still when I landed it. 5 to 10 casts later is when I get a nice explosion. Set the hook and 10 pound braid started going. Had a nice fight with another 27" 8 to 10 pound striper. This one stayed still on shore unless I tried to handle it. Kept casting but no more explosions so I hit the road around 6:30pm.

There's 2 patterns I'm noticing. The stripers are coming to feed in the shallows around sunset, resulting in a quick 15 to 30 minute topwater bite before they leave once there's no more sunlight. The other is smaller 3 to 5 inch topwaters are grabbing their attention easily due to all the peanut bunker around vs bigger bait.

3 signs of fall and winter I saw were a red breasted merganser, more black backed gulls, and what looked like a pie billed grebe going under to feed on plankton.
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you are Michael. Big blues on a bunker pattern 5-1/2" X-Rap!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0qyD81pfxk
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redneckangler wrote:

Michael does not have permission to listen to Megadeth though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redneckangler wrote:

You've got the boat while I'm stuck on shore. Big difference. Keep the reports coming!
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throw one of those bunker X-Raps! They've been killer the last few weeks.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: