CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Fishing Tournaments
Viewing Topic: Kayak Fishing Tourney Lake Mashapaug May 9, 2015 Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mase2020

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Kayak Fishing Tourney Lake Mashapaug May 9, 2015 Reply with quote

So here it is with a little caveat. I have submitted an application with the DEEP a few weeks ago and have not heard back yet, however the date is getting closer and I want to give all ample notice. Should I hear back and not get approval for a tourney, this will change to a group outing or paddle together. The only difference is the competition aspect. With that being said here is the info and let me know if your in or not.

May 9, 2015: Lake Mashapaug Union CT
Time: 6 AM - 1 PM
Check in 5:15 - 5:45
Entry $3.00
Optional Lunker Pool: $10.00
Optional pool for 1st place: the way it works is if you want in you bring some unwrapped fishing lure or tackle and it goes in the pot and the person who wins first place (Overall length) gets the tackle bag.

Trophies for 1st, 2nd, 3rd place on overall length of your five best fish
Catch, Photograph and Release
Canoes and Kayaks allowed and a Dingy (Kira)
Your need a camera (phones okay) and a measuring device that has a horizontal stop. I think that's everything let me know if there are any questions.

I'm not doing food after this one however is someone else wants to try to organize that aspect of it feel free.
coastieyaker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan,
I am in.
Thanks for putting it together.

Pete
TheFisherman357

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My name is jay and im kinda new to the site but im down for the tournament. I've been kayak fishing for about three years and haven't competed in any tournies. I'm looking forward to it.
Mase2020

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheFisherman357 wrote:
My name is jay and im kinda new to the site but im down for the tournament. I've been kayak fishing for about three years and haven't competed in any tournies. I'm looking forward to it.

Jay, I have been kayak fishing for about 4 years now so were in the same boat. Would love to have you come out. As you can see by the small entry fee and the optional pools that these tournaments are geared towards fun and fishing first with a little added sport mixed in. Very low pressure and lots of good people. Look forward to seeing you. Alan~
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in, unless my wife makes me do something else. . . . Wink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a maybe,...it will depend on the condition of the rivers and the striper fishing at that point. Basically if it looks lousy for stripers that day,..then I will fish the tourney!

Ps: I definitely like the 6 to 1 time slot for a tourney! Thumbs Up
Mase2020

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just4fun wrote:
I am a maybe,...it will depend on the condition of the rivers and the striper fishing at that point. Basically if it looks lousy for stripers that day,..then I will fish the tourney!

Ps: I definitely like the 6 to 1 time slot for a tourney! Thumbs Up

Ok Mark sounds good I will put you down as a maybe.
Sorts

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in
Mase2020

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay all, trophies are ordered and the weather is looking pretty good. Looking to see all on Saturday. It is free fishing day, but will check conservation id. Also state law requires you wear a life jacket prior to Memorial Day. If you have any questions let me know.
Mase2020

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a bit of last minute news for the tournament. Parking there is at a premium, so please try to car pool or double up on the parking spaces. Try to leave the larger spaces in the middle for boats with trailers. If we need to some may need to park in one of the other area near Bigelow Pond after unloading and get a ride back to the launch. Try to show up on time and register so that we can start on time. If you may run late my phone number is 860-402-9647 call me and I will wait for you so you can register. Don't forget the optional pools, $10.00 lunker, and unwrapped lure for overall length.

Also one member wants to trade, sell and swap stuff afterwards so if you have anything you want to SELL, SWAP, or TRADE bring it. Hope to see you all there and good luck.
Mase2020

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PLEASE BRING EXACT CHANGE!! THANKS
PECo

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And don't forget to bring your 2015 fishing license and your PFD! Remember, you MUST WEAR a PFD until May 31:
Quote:
Sec. 15-121-A17. Personal flotation devices for manually propelled vessels.
During the period from October first through May thirty-first all persons aboard a manually
propelled vessel shall wear a Type I, II, III, V or V Hybrid United States Coast Guard approved
personal flotation device of appropriate size and in serviceable condition. Except as provided in
subsection (b) of section 15-121-A13 of the Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies, no
operator, owner or user of said manually propelled vessel shall allow any person to be aboard
who is not wearing such a device.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The striper bite is on the rise, so I am out for this one Alan.
Good luck to all!!
Mase2020

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay so here are the tournament results. There were 12 anglers, 3 were first timers and fit right in, Carlos Nieves, Jose Negron and Jay Myslak. It was a great day that started out a little on the chilly side, but warmed up once the sun burned away the clouds. The water was calm and still on the cold side between 57 and 62 degrees. Many reported seeing large bass on or near beds, but could not get them to bite. In total 36 Bass were caught with a combined length of 439.25”, the lunker was 17.5, by Jay Myslak who won $120.00. Phil (Peco) caught the high with 11 fish, most however averaged two fish. Here are the final standing.
1. Phil 66.25
2. Jay Myslak 57.75
3. Jose Negron 56.75
4. Alan Mason 46
5. Antony Vecca 41.25
6. Jason M. 36.75
7. Doug G. 29.5
8. Joshua Unick 28.25
9. Dan 19.5
10. Carlos N., Bill G., Mike S. 0
I want to thank all for coming and hope everyone had a good time. Pictures to follow.
PECo

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always, I had a blast. Thanks for letting me beat you, again, Alan. Laughing

In case anyone doesn't know, I caught ALL of my fish with wacky-rigged five-inch Senkos fished very slowly. And I DID also try a fairly big crawfish jig, a Perch Rapala JSR-7, drop-shot three-inch Pearl Silver Gulp! Minnows and drop-shot wacky-rigged five-inch Senkos. I used 15-pound test P-Line Fluoroclear fishing line, which is very heavy and stiff, and didn't even feel the bite half of the time. Yes, I'm a line watcher. A also used Number 4 Gamakatsu Octopus Circle hooks and lip-hooked or skin-hooked every single fish.

When I checked the surface water temperature, it was 63 degrees. I didn't see any bedding activity, although since only two of my 11 fish were smallmouth bass, I was probably fishing mostly in largemouth bass areas of the lake. I also never caught any fish that I saw first. When the water at Mashapaug is as clear as it was on Saturday, you have to fish at least 30 feet away from your kayak.

If, unlike before this tournament, I have more time before the next one, I'd love to bring food for everyone; maybe Korean-style steak sandwiches. It would have been nice to sit around for a while and talk fishing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Fishing Tournaments All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: