CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater
Viewing Topic: Braid
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scooper47

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:37 am    Post subject: Braid Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me the best pound test for braid for surf fishing? I have a 10-foot pole, spinning reel, and I never fish after dark so the best I can hope for is 10- to 15-lb. blue.
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually run 40lb-50lb. It casts like 20lb. mono or less. Depends where you're fishing as well. Lighter braid casts longer, but is easy to chafe through on rocks. Make sure you run a long leader of heavy mono for stripers .
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
scooper47

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject: Thanks, Redneck. Reply with quote

I just fish from the beach so no rocks involved. It sounds like I can go a little lighter than 40 lbs. I had already heard about the need for a leader. What is the name of the knot you use to attach mono to braid? I used a nail knot on my fly line.
bluefish

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 50# braid to a 90 spro swivel or Alberto knot to 30 or 50# mono to TA clip. I don't use the Alberto knot often. Knots I use with braid is Palomar and clinch with mono. Hope that helps

Mark
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For bigger blues and stripers I use 30lb Power Pro Super Slick. For smaller blues and stripers no bigger than just over keeper, I use 15lb Power Pro Super Slick.

But as RNA said, it also depends on what you're using, as in weight.

Lighter braid casts farther, but you must know how to handle bigger fish with lighter line. I was able to land a 39" 20 pound 6 ounce striper with the 15lb braid while casting a 1 1/2oz popper, but knew how to handle the fish and how to have the drag set.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: