CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Connecticut River - Keeney Cove 06/12
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Connecticut River - Keeney Cove 06/12 Reply with quote

After waking up at 4:15 am to fish a bass boat tourney at Lake Lillinonah, yesterday, I had no plans to do anything, today, other than sleep in. But at 7:45 am, I got a message from TurtleKiss (aka Kira) in our group fishing chat asking whether anyone wanted to paddle Keeney Cove for a while. And who am I to say "No" to that?

I got my crap together, refueled my Jeep and got to Keeney at about 9:45 am, just in time to see Kira land a dink smallie from Point Road. The water level is high. It's only about 1-1/2 feet below the road. You can't even see the culvert under the road:

There was only a single, tiny cloud in the sky and it wasn't overhead. It wasn't long before the air began to feel hot. REALLY HOT! The water temperature was a balmy 74 degrees and the water was clear. I could see sunnies and empty fish beds all day. When the wind blew, it was just a mild breeze out of the north-northwest.

To make a long story short, I paddled up the east bank from Point Road, through the culvert, counter-clockwise around the entire north cove, back through the culvert, down the west bank and back to Point Road. I was fully cooked, dehydrated and off the water by 3:15 pm. But during my paddle, I managed to boat 22 largemouth bass ranging from a tiny dink to two pounds, 10 ounces, and a 23 inch chain pickerel:

Needless to say, the fish were aggressive. I threw both a wacky-rigged five-inch Senko and a Zoom Horny Toad, and they liked both. The best fish I hooked all day was a three-plus pound largemouth bass that broke me off in the north cove, probably due to a nicked fishing line. When I checked the water temperature at the north end of the north cove, it was a scorching 82 degrees!

While I was circumnavigating the cove, Kira stayed in the shallows on the west shore of the middle cove. She accidentally caught the same three pound, 11 ounce, largemouth bass twice while trying to get a bedding bowfin to take a lure.

Although the official start of summer will be on June 21, it kinda felt like summer, today. Did I mention that it was HOT? My Jeep told me exactly how hot when I left:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive barely fished since moving back to CT a year ago. I used to fish Keeney from the canoe w my buddy all the time. Good to hear its still producing!

Nice report PECO
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: