CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Connecticut River - Baldwin Bridge 10/04
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Connecticut River - Baldwin Bridge 10/04 Reply with quote

After my frustrating bass fishing tourney on Sunday, I decided to look for some bigger fish at the mouth of the Connecticut River. I fished alone and had only about four hours to spend on the water, but the weather forecast looked good, with sunny skies, air temperatures from 64 to 74 degrees and winds out of the southwest from nine to 11 miles per hour. At Saybrook Jetty, high tide was at 10:07 am and low tide was at 4:09 pm.

I launched at the Baldwin Bridge State Boat Launch at 10:00 am:

After the 10 minute idle downriver through the No Wake Zone, I headed down the channel to the edge of the flat across from the inlet on the west bank. I deployed the Ultrex and, as I motored toward the flat, I threw a Daiwa SP Minnow. After only casts, I hooked up with a big bluefish, probably around 12 pounds. At this point, I'm thinking, "This is going to be a good day!" However, the blue swam down underneath the boat and pulled free of the hooks. Mad

I stayed off the edge of the flats for a while with the Ultrex on Spot Lock, but never got another bite or saw any other big fish activity. The blue I had hooked was more of a Lee Harvey Oswald than a platoon leader.

I headed up to and across the flat to the inlet at the slack high tide. Although I could see the silver flash of small bait leaping out of the water, it was unmolested and I never got any bites. 30 minutes later, I headed across the channel to the east bank, just to see whether the wind might be blowing bait to that side. The water was a little rougher, because I was no longer alee of the west bank, and I didn't see any activity, none at all, and I didn’t get any bites.

I debated heading toward the Sound, but the southwest wind made the water out there look a little rough, so I just headed back across the channel toward North Cove. As I headed back up the west bank over the flat, I saw small shoals of small bait breaking on the bank. At 11:20 am, I got a bite, but it was just a small striped bass:

I continued up the west bank to the inlet. When I got there, I boated four more small schoolies:

I headed out to the edge of the flat and worked my way upriver against the outgoing tide. Although I had planned to fish until 2:00 pm and as fun as boating small schoolies is, the lack of any big fish activity was discouraging, and I gave up and headed back to the ramp at 1:40 pm.

I wonder whether the bigger fish were out in the Sound. Did anyone else get out on the water?

Last edited by PECo on Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:26 am; edited 1 time in total
markm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should rename this site PECO's fishing adventures. I love reading your reports and look forward to them every week.
RobO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of these days I need to get out there with you to fish for stripers!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobO wrote:
One of these days I need to get out there with you to fish for stripers!

You sure do, Rob.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: