CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Housatonic River - Sunnyside 11/29 to 12/04
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Housatonic River - Sunnyside 11/29 to 12/04 Reply with quote

I finally had a chance to go fishing, again, and have tried the make the best of it. After I got home from out of state last Tuesday, I fished the lower Housatonic River on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Sunday and Monday. To paraphrase Paul Revere, “The schoolies are here! The schoolies are here!”

The weather conditions this past week were terrific, with air temperatures in the low to upper 40s and very little wind. The water has been clearing up, with temperatures from 45 to 41 degrees.

I fished alone on Wednesday and Thursday, with Dan1 (aka Dan) on Friday, and with JJay (aka Jason) on Sunday and Monday. Except for Sunday, when Jason and I fished for eight hours, I fished short days from 2-1/2 to five hours. We never had to travel far and caught fish from O’Sullivan’s Island to Sikorsky.

On Wednesday, I boated five dozen, and, on Thursday, 10 dozen. On Friday, Dan and I boated five dozen, but spent a lot of time searching around for bigger fish and left early for lunch. On Sunday, Jason and I boated 13 dozen, and, on Monday, 15 dozen.

We never did find any keepers. On each day, the lunker ranged from only 22 to 25 inches. Keepers are out there in the schools, but you have to get lucky to pull one out of them. The few I heard had been boated were all under 30 inches, but a couple of fly fishermen throwing big streamers said they saw a 40+ incher follow a hooked schoolie up to their boat.

I’ll be traveling, again, and might be done fishing for the year. I hope that everyone has more opportunities to go fishing in 2018 than they did in 2017.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent as always Phil. That's a great place to go. Nothing wrong with schoolies. Yeah, boy I most certainly hope to get out a lot more than I did this year.
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seasons Greetings, John. Let’s overfish Winchester and Highland, next year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: