CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Connecticut River - Haddam Meadows 02/28
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Connecticut River - Haddam Meadows 02/28 Reply with quote

Strange Day.

This morning, I finally decided to head down to the Connecticut Yankee Atomic Power Plant Canal to catch some spawning yellow perch. The weather forecast and the tides looked pretty good:

I launched my bass boat from Haddam Meadows at 9:30 am. The water level was already quite high, but it wasn't flowing very hard. It was, however, really, REALLY murky. The water temperature was 36 degrees, but I saw it rise to 44 in the canal.

There weren't any other boat trailers in the lot at Haddam Meadows, so I figured that I had the canal to myself when I arrived. Lucy! I'm hoooome. . . .

As I worked my way up the canal, I threw a white chatterbait with a white Keitech Swing Impact paddletail trailer. Due to the murkiness of the water, I figured that I should throw something noisy and shiny. I didn't get any action with the chatterbait, so I switched to a white Arkie curlytail grub on a 1/8 ounce white ball jighead. It didn't take long for one of the target species to pick it up:

A little while later, the grub was picked up by a surprise largemouth bass:

That was my first keeper Connecticut largemouth bass of the year. Whoo hoo!

As I worked my way up the canal, I finally spotted another boat that had, apparently, entered the canal before I got there. And, then, I spotted another near the end of the canal. So much for having the canal to myself. . . . Rolling Eyes The other boats were fishing with bobbers for black crappie and appeared to be getting some.

Unfortunately, I had an almost two hour dry spell before I caught my next fish, which was NOT a northern pike:

However, at about 1:00 pm, I began to catch more fish; a yellow perch here, a largemouth bass there, another chain pickerel, another largemouth bass, etc.. At 2:30 pm, my final fish was a largemouth bass:

I ended up catching 14 yellow perch, but I also caught a dozen largemouth bass, of which four or five were keepers up to 15 inches long, and four chain pickerel.

Although some of the yellow perch I caught were pretty fat, I don't think that the yellow perch spawn is really on; soon, but not yet.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven’t posted in years, but I’m glad to have finally seen you out on the water! I was in the blue tracker. I didn’t do as well as you, but did get 4 bass on a jerkbait and a few perch as well after spending a couple hours throwing other lures with no success. All the bass bit after a long pause. My best was in the 3-4 pound range, but I can’t upload the photo from my phone. You didn’t happen to lose that white grub to a snag did you?
[/img]
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usnavybro wrote:
You didn’t happen to lose that white grub to a snag did you?

Um, maybe. . . . Embarassed

I saw a couple of guys killing the yellow perch in Hamburg Cove with jerkbaits, today. You should have tried your jerkbait over the flats in Salmon Cove. It's that time of year.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked a white curly tail grub off a submerged branch that may/may not have been very similar to the one you showed me, and gave it to my friend who may/may not have proceeded to catch his first ever perch with it!

I threw a jerkbait in the Salmon River yesterday, but with no confidence and no immediate bites went back to the canal after only a few minutes. I’ll try for longer next time!
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usnavybro wrote:
I threw a jerkbait in the Salmon River yesterday, but with no confidence and no immediate bites went back to the canal after only a few minutes. I’ll try for longer next time!

Just be careful in Salmon Cove. You have to be aware of the location of the channel and the tide or you could run aground in there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: