CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » General Topics
Viewing Topic: Smoker!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Smoker! Reply with quote

Hi All!

Here's an FYI for those considering getting a home meat/fish smoker!

My brother asked me to research for a smoker for his new son-in-law.

Well after a lot (a lot!) of research, I found the following:

Industrial food grade electric smoker by OMCAN Food Machinery (for supermarkets and resturants).
Retails for $424.00 and on sale for $219 - $265 depending on who you purchase it from.

Will hold 20 lbs. and has a lot of superb features + Has 1000w of power!
Also you can use wood (or mix) of sawdust, chips, or chunks.
And at a super price Exclamation

In the Goggle search box type in "FMA SH001 Smoker".
Look for the picture and click on that.

Have ordered one myself to replace my homemade one!

SeaDog1
Passinthru Outdoors

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, no, no...Not a Lazy Q....That';s not BBQ... You have to be up all night long tending to the smoker and drinking beer. Man, what is this world coming to.

Actually that is an incredible price for an electric smoker and for someone just starting out they are easy to use. I do prefer my Weber bullet though and will continue using it but sure would love one of those lazy q's for some quick smokes.

BTW, the virtual weber bullet is an incredible website for anyone who is into or just starting out with smoking and BBQ. Some great articles and a very helpful forum with some great recipes as well. Here is a link to the site. http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/index.html

Thanks for pasisng this along.

Visit my Blog at: www.passinthruoutdoors.blogspot.com
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Passinthru!

Lazy Q Question

Whether electric, propane, or charcoal -> It's not an auto wood feed -> RonCo set it and forget it Exclamation

Still have to watch the temp., tend the fire with wood, and drink "Good Beer" Very Happy Thumbs Up

Ooooooh! -> Idea Idea -> THROWDOWN Exclamation Very Happy Your smoked fish against mine Razz

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
Passinthru Outdoors

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense meant Seadog. The electric smokers that I have seen my buddies use are all set it and forget it. Something missing to me when you are tending to the smoker as much.

I use only lump wood charcoal in my smoker and never anything else. I'd love to get a bigger smoker and deal with hardwood more, but not in the plans.

You might have me on fish as I don't smoke it often because I don't like it. Bring on the ribs, brisket and pork butts and we can have some fun.

I do use a Maverick remote thermometer for my over night smokes as I can set up some temp alarms to get woken up when they get out of whack. For the most part my weber's are pretty solid and once you get them running they run consistent with little interaction. I will run my smokers for 16 hours straight and only need to add lump charcoal once. Love the weber bullet.[/img]

Visit my Blog at: www.passinthruoutdoors.blogspot.com
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Passinthru!

Nah! No offence taken at all.

I use chip/chunk wood mix for smoking.
Best mix I've used is a 50-50 mix of Apple wood and Pecan wood.
Pecan is much like Hickory without the bitterness and imparts a nice nutty flavor.

That electric smoker I posted, you do have to tend.

I use a special Rum brine for my fish (Mostly Trout and Kokanee Salmon).
Everybody tells me it's the best smoked fish they've ever tasted! Thumbs Up

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: