CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Shimano Crucial - DS vs. std model
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shortypowers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Shimano Crucial - DS vs. std model Reply with quote

Anyone have experience with the Shimano Crucial rods in the DS variety CRS-X68M versus the CRS-70M?

I see that West Marine has these rods (among others) on clearance for $106.88.. seems like a good price with free shipping. I just can't decide between the two. I want it largely for drop shotting but was hoping it would be versatile enough to use for other applications as well - shaky heads, weightless senkos.

I held both at Cabela's and they felt nice.. but I couldn't tell too much difference. I was set on getting a 7' rod but at $107 the cost savings might be too hard to pass up.

Anyone have input one way or the other?

Basically replying to my own post here.. but maybe a ML variety, e.g. CRS-D72ML is appropriate. Do most use a ML rod for drop shotting? Is that even the better choice?
stumpy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used a 68mxf last year. i think it is a little too parabolic for shakyheads unless your using an exposed hook. this year i have a kistler 6'6m mod fast. if your going to be using strictly 6lb test i would go wit the med/light the med seems a little too stiif for anything under 8# test.
shortypowers

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really good info, stumpy, thanks. I think I'm going to skip the deal and go with the 7'2" ML dropshot model instead. I think that'll fit my needs a bit better.
Just4fun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your dropshotting consists mainly of light lines and baits,..a ML rod works way better than a M.
Often-times you will hook a dropshot fish just by a little tiny patch of skin in it's mouth and you want the rod to be super flexible so it acts like a shock absorber and keeps the hook from ripping out! Wink

Also for the record,..I have a Crucial Medium, DS rod that I use for other things (besides dropshotting..). It works well for any bait with an exposed hook,..but it is too soft to get a good hookset otherwise! I mainly use it for small tubes and crankbaits!
Cool
shortypowers

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input, Mark. Sounds like I made the right decision as I do use light line and baits as I mostly fish clear water lakes.

I just got the rod yesterday and am hoping to sneak in a test run Saturday or Sunday!
Nickp

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the medium dropshot model and I love it.

I does fish broader bigger baits well, I intend to buy another but medium light for some of the smaller/thinner 2-3in baits
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: