CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Fly Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: natchaug river 4-18
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigoutdoors

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:19 am    Post subject: natchaug river 4-18 Reply with quote

i went to the natchaug river in chaplin,which is a trophy river,started with a hares ear,and stayed with that fly all day.first 5 casts,had 5 browns,all fat,largest being 18 inches.after landing the last fish i went to roll cast out,heard what i though was a line slap.pick it up and went to roll again,it did it again and the rod felt like it had no backbone.so my line still out,i start checking the rod.sure enough found 3 crackes just below the first eyelet down from where the 2 piece goes together.so with this being the first year i didnt bring another rod i was done.i started reeling up,great snagged bottom,no,its wiggling,landed a 20 inch brown.i ended up useing my buddys spare rod to finish the day.picked up 11 more all but 4 were brown,the other were brookies.around 8 am the fishing just about shut off.we left at 10.i talked to a buddy who fished the fenton and said the same thing about going dead at 8.

the highlite of my day,was not any of my fish caught,nor any of my buddies.a father and 2 boys were one openning upstream from me,the had 5 fish between the three,needed 1 more to limit out.they were using nightcrawlers,on the bottom.the dad baits the hook and casts it out,and hands the pole to the boy,he was about 5 or 6 years old.with the other brother picking on him because he already caught his limit and they were waiting on him,and the father telling him to leave him alone.the boy yells out,i got one.i look over through the brush,there he is,the little zebco,close faced reel.bent over.rod shaking.no dout he had a fish.the father stood behing him,helping him reel,along with holding the pole with one hand.all of a sudden splash,splash.thats a big fish.he landed a 20-22 inch rainbow,had to go in the 7-8 pound class.congrads on the boy,i hope your hooked for life
FishnCT

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you had a great Opening Day... and good description of those kids with their Dad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: