CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Fishing
Viewing Topic: Red Hook Theories?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slimecoat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To a bass, the red hooks are supposed to signify blood from an injured prey, or a gill plate to use as an attack point. I am not totally sold on them, I have caught plenty of fish on baits with and without them. I know they work well as a belly hook on a 2 or 3 trebbled topwater bait. Sometimes I will use a red drop shot hook, and start catching them good, when I wasn't without them. The fish will usually tell you what they want.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed the red hooks seem to disappear a lot better in the water than the black. I usually use red hooks trout fishing seem to work better

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be really sold on red hooks a few years back when senko's were my main bait,..I never had a real all-or-nothing kind of day with them but it just seemed like I had more good days with them than without so it became a confidence thing. I'd either buy the red ones when I could find them or I'd just paint my own with red nail polish! I've kinda gone away from them gradually over time, as i began to fish jigs more,.... but it probably wouldn't hurt to carry some and give them a try when it's one of those days when they just aren't biting on baits with the regular hooks!

Slimey, I've never thought about trying them on a dropshot before,...but I probably will give them a go now! Wink
Esox CT

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is kind of a confusing concept. Some bait companies like Strike King have those "Bleeding Baits" series, but I've always heard that red is the first color of the spectrum to disappear under water.
BoSox46GSR

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard this as well, but maybe that is a good thing in a sense, maybe the fish just don't see it at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-ReoBPl4mM
I'm having very good time! Good time for arr!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: