CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Rules & Regs , Saftey Notices, Recalls, & Laws
Viewing Topic: DEP says "go fish" with license
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message

Joined: 09 May 2007
Posts: 144
Location: windham ct

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: DEP says "go fish" with license Reply with quote

DEP says "go fish" with

Updated: Thursday, 02 Jul 2009, 4:24 PM EDT
Published : Thursday, 02 Jul 2009, 4:24 PM EDT(WTNH) - The Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) announced that a saltwater fishing license is now required by state law to fish in the Long Island Sound.
Licenses can be purchased online through the DEP website .
The licenses are $10 for residents and $15 for non-residents. They can also be purchased at the offices of most town clerks and at many retail outlets and bait and tackle shops.
Lawmakers authorized the marine fishing license during the 2009 General Assembly Session. Funds generated by the new law, which was signed July 1 by Governor Rell, will be used for conservation and preservation programs in the state.
DEP Acting Commissioner Amey Marrella said, "The new saltwater fishing license will provide us with information we need to better manage our fisheries and coastal resources. The Connecticut program will also exempt residents from a federal program that would have required our anglers to register with and pay a fee to the federal government. It makes much more sense for us to gather information about our own anglers and to keep license fees in Connecticut."
The requirement for the marine fish license goes into effect immediately and DEP Environmental Conservation Police will begin checking for licenses immediately; however the DEP's initial focus will be on public education and awareness.
The license is required for anyone 16-years of age or older and free for anyone 65-years of age or older but must still be obtained annually.
Exceptions include:
- People operating a boat where other people are taking or attempting to take fish.
- Anyone fishing as a passenger on a registered party, charter or head boat registered in Connecticut that is operating solely in the marine district.
- State residents participating in a fishing derby that the DEP Commissioner has authorized in writing as long as no fees are charged for the derby, it last one day or less and is sponsored by a non-profit civic service organization.
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Rules & Regs , Saftey Notices, Recalls, & Laws All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Other sites in our Network: