CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » General Topics
Viewing Topic: PIKERS......Who are they and what do they do?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gverb1219

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: PIKERS......Who are they and what do they do? Reply with quote

For those who do not know what a Piker is, maybe this can shed some light.

PIKER

I first raised the term on page 19 of the 'lets see all of your boats your pride' thread in the xxxx xxxxx forum. I was criticizing gverb1219 for complaining about the cost of a fancy aluminum boat he's in love with
===============================================================
Sortie wrote:
you guys are such PIKERS. quit your jobs and open a hedge fund (or two). Then you can buy several of Jay's boats and use them as tenders for your yachts.
baywatch wrote:
OK I give up what is PIKER.
Sortie wrote:
NOUN: Slang 1. A cautious gambler. 2. A person regarded as petty or stingy.
ETYMOLOGY: Possibly from Piker, a poor migrant to California, after Pike County in eastern Missouri.

(Source: Merriam Webster Dictionary)

He wants you to be a "turn-piker". BTW, what is a "piker"?

gverb1219 wrote:
as you can see, Mr Recording Sec'y pointed out, Pikers generally fall into a few categories, Rube Goldbergs, scavengers, backyard mechanics, etc, etc...
Here are a few more ways to find out if you have any Piker in you.

Sortie wrote:
a Piker is a guy who gets the job done at the lowest possible cost (normally involving skill on his behalf, except in my case)

it's against Piker policy to buy a new car or boat. better to keep an old one going by dropping a new powerplant in it (yourself) or doing all of your maintenance (no matter how long it takes).

a Piker never throws anything out for fear it could come in handy later.

a Piker makes use of items he finds washed up on the beach or adrift (hey, you never know)

a Piker NEVER pays retail prices

===============================================
gverb1219 wrote:

If you've ever put mis matched tire on you car cause you got them for nothing..........You might be a Piker

If you've ever crawled under you car with a piece of wire to hang your muffler back up..........You might be a Piker

If you've ever fixed the tear in your seat with duct tape..........You might be a Piker

If you EVER visited a auto salvage yard for parts..........You might be a Piker

If you've ever busted a knuckle using a wrench, while lying under a car in the dark with a flashlight in your teeth..........You might be a Piker

If you've ever had hot motor oil run down your arm and drip off your elbow..........You might be a Piker

If you've ever gotten a mouthful of gasoline sucking on a hose..........You might be a Piker

If while working on a vehicle you've ever eaten a sandwich only to realize that the "dark jam" on the bread was really axel grease..........You might be a Piker

If you've ever used a coffee can to repair a hole in your muffler pipe..........You might be a Piker

If you've ever had to use the battery out of your car to run your boat, then put it back in your car to get home..........You might be a Piker

If you've ever used a coat hanger for an antenna..........You might be a Piker

If you've ever used vise grips to hold a bolt in place because you didn't have the right size nut..........You might be a Piker

If you've ever had your engine crap out and used your anchor to get back, by repeatedly throwing it out and pulling it in to get the boat moving..........You might be a Piker

If you've ever used a tree limb as an engine hoist..........You might be a Piker

If you've ever tied a rag to wipers cause the wiper blade flew off..........You might be a Piker

If you've ever pushed a car or motorcycle back and forth more than twice to try jump starting it..........You might be a Piker

If you’ve ever eaten roadkill……….You might be a Piker.

If you’ve ever gone bird hunting with a bow and arrow ……….You might be a Piker

If you've had the same old boat for over 20 years and keep it going by converting junkie old auto engines..........You might be a Piker Club President

I know you may be saying, Pikers sound a lot like Rednecks........well, maybe just a tad Wink I think we're at least a step or two above Rednecks..............LMAO Very Happy Laughing Rolling Eyes Laughing Very Happy

So, Pikers of Connecticut and surrounding area.........come forth and be proud Laughing [/i]

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL........another Piker found...........LOL Razz

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: PIKERS......Who are they and what do they do? Reply with quote

sevnseat wrote:
gverb1219 wrote:
For those who do not know what a Piker is, maybe this can shed some light.

PIKER

I first raised the term on page 19 of the 'lets see all of your boats your pride' thread in the xxxx xxxxx forum. I was criticizing gverb1219 for complaining about the cost of a fancy aluminum boat he's in love with
Sortie wrote:
you guys are such PIKERS. quit your jobs and open a hedge fund (or two). Then you can buy several of Jay's boats and use them as tenders for your yachts.

HEY! I resemble that comment!

HE HE OK some of the nicest people are Pikers!! Most of our forefathers were Pikers!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

All that truly matters in the end is that you LOVED !!!!
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another term for Pikers.......car enthusiasts who cruise up and down the Berlin Turnpike on Friday and Saturday nights in their classic cars. Very Happy
Gaucho

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys have shirts??? Laughing Laughing
clumberhunter

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang, I have done almost all of those at one time or another.
Matt
Old Mud

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clumberhunter wrote:
Dang, I have done almost all of those at one time or another.
Matt

LOL. Matt, you are a PIKER Smile Thumbs Up

clumberhunter

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Mud my family always thought of ourselves as Swamp Yankees, never heard the term Piker until this thread. We come from some of the best Swamp Yankee stcok the state of Maine ever produced.
Matt
SORTIE

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swamp Yankee is the New England term for Piker, which has its origins in Missouri.

My brother-in-law is a Swamp Yankee...his property in Old Saybrook is chock-a-block with 'useful' items he'll 'get to' in the future (for instance, two Triumph TR6s on blocks). When I sold my house he took delivery of both of my elderly Gravelys. He and my sister bought a ramshackle house back in '91 and he has been restoring it for the last sixteen years (by himself). He works at Brewers marina just over the Old Saybrook line, so he has access to every imaginable tool.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Skip..................you got a brother-in-law working at a marina Shocked ..............what else could you ask for Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
You should access to LOTS of stock piled re-usable items......... Laughing

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Just got back(sick) . When I lived in Stacyville My camp name was "Swamp Fox" LOL. That's where I love to hunt. Not much of a ridge runner but I do love to hunt the Black Grove with handgun. Never thought much about being a Piker untill Skip Con'd me into admitting it and showed me it was something to be proud of !!! Smile Very Happy . Thanks Skip Very Happy

ploplopfizzfizz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HHmmm..
I always thought a piker was someone that worked in the stock market that ran out the door when the 4:30 market bell rang.
I will have to call webster and tell them we have new definitions for PIKER.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: