CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: How do YOU store your soft plastics?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DV

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 5:37 am    Post subject: How do YOU store your soft plastics? Reply with quote

For years I have been storing my jerk shads, creature baits, worms and senkos in skinny full size plano's and just recently noticed that some baits that have been in the box for 3-4 years are much more faded than spares I left in the original bags. Tonight I sorted my 4 boxes of plastics into ziplocks and put drops of fish oil for scent & lube and while they seem new again, only problem is "out of sight out of mind". Now I have a zillion bags that look the same, I don't want to ruin my assortment of baits but I also want to be able to quickly glace at what I have available.

How do you guys store your plastics, esp the tourney crowd seeing as you need to flip through rather fast and have lots of $ in baits?

Also anyone else notice senkos getting "water logged" the ones that have been fished turn a different color and are much more pliable? Tiki sticks do the same thing while yum dingers seem to be fine. Does the salt just dissolve away?
PECo

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep mine in the original bags and store them vertically in a soft-sided insulated kids lunchbag I bought at Walmart. There's an external zipper pocket in which I keep a few different kinds of hooks.

I don't have all the options that you keep on hand all of the time, but I have everything I need to fish wacky-rigged or weightless Texas-rigged. Of course, my little kayak doesn't have the hauling capacity of your canoe. . . .

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually buy a bag or two for a specific trip, sometimes more. What I have left opened I store in a plano box. I'm guessing I have 5 boxes of soft plastics in my boat by the season end.. It's also a good way to build a good assortment of sizes and colors. There's nothing worse when you are on a good bite not to have any soft plastics on board. At the end of the season I give to my buddys kid what I wont use again. I couldnt imagine not be able to carry enough. God bless the non-boaters and the guys in small crafts. Seems everytime I drive by Dick's or Cabelas I'm in there buying something that goes in the boat
steven1smith

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep all of my unused soft plastics in their original bags. I store the bags in the cabelas softbait bag which has tons of individual pockets for each bait, and each pocket is see-through so I can easily find what I am looking for. As for the used soft plastics, I just toss them in my tackle box for times when I dont want to carry around that huge soft bait bag. Very Happy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxCdnQ8WEfQ
stumpy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use binders for my plastics. a couple of the daiwa tierra cay and a few bass pro large finese binders. all baits are in original bags and storred in the binders separated into types of baits.
metalfish

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I line my plastics in the bottom of my box.
DV

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys I ended up stuffing about 15 bags of soft stick baits in a tackle warehouse binder so that takes care of the senko situation. I'm still left with ALOT of bags, half of which I have already discarded the original zip lock and transplanted into a regular baggie. I really wish I never tossed those originals bags...

Stumpy- About how many bags can you fit in those bps large binders? The site says it comes with 10, but if I bought more bags can I fit say 20 bags in one?
djmon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i usually buy a few bags of each color of what im using and throw them into ziploc freezer quart bags. the freezer bags because they are a thicker material and you can use the scents and oils without worrying about them leaking through. if im not carrying various bags which i each put into a quick side bag such as a small toliety barg, axe bag (the one that comes with the shampoos and such) or a lunch insulted bag- ill throw the packs in a plano box each packaged or lose and packed neatly.
DV

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks djmon, I bought some heavy duty zip locks today and am gonna make my own sort of binder box tote thing. I roamed walmart for an hour looking for a suitable bag like a few mini zip binders, no dice. I am to cheap to dish out $20 for a bag that fits 10 bags, (I know right Rolling Eyes)

Fyi: cheap ziplocks suck, my tackle bag smells like fish oil/dead animals.
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DV like others have already mentioned I store my plastics in the bags they come in. Be careful taking them out and mixing them with other colors or brands as some colors will fade or will mix giving them the psychodelic colors which you don't want and some brands mixed will literally dissolve each other into a mush pile. Keep them in their bags and get a storage box or a binder system.

Jim
DV

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup never mixed colors, learned that lesson early on!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: