CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help
Viewing Topic: Sonar\ Fish-finder
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Sonar\ Fish-finder Reply with quote

Looking to buy my first fish finder. I don't know anything about them. I don't need anything flashy just a dependable unit. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike D,

Here's my 2 cents.

Get a name brand, Humminbird, Lowrance etc.

Black and white is a good starter unit. Color is very sweet however you will be paying more.

Check the Cabela's bargin cave, they have some demo units there from time to time you can buy.

Check out and play with the unit your looking to buy at the display rack, see if you can understand how to use it.

You can alway post on the "for sale" page ask if anyone is upgrading and selling their older unit. Many people moving the the HD model so you might find a good deal.

Tranducer. mount it on the outside of your bout, it works the best there. Most manufacturers will tell you that.

OK, I'm done. I trust others will add to want I missed.

Ron

Oh Yeah. Use Loctite when mounting it. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Ron. I spent some time at Cabela's today. All I can say is wow, talk about kid in a candy store. Great selection of finders. I was originally leaning towards a bargain humminbird color unit, but after some deeper consideration and thoughtful advice from a sales guy from Cabela's I'm leaning towars a monochrome humminbird unit. The Bargain cave has a few options for me. I have much to learn about this fishing aid and plan on digesting my options. Thanks again for your response. I'm looking forward to play with a new toy ehh I mean tool soon.
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it can be overwhelming...

Best of luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: