CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Spring Pond 10/01 Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Spring Pond 10/01 Reply with quote

TurtleKiss (aka Kira) wanted to fish from shore somewhere, so I suggested Spring Pond. She had actually never been there before. It was overcast and cool, with a steady north wind. I arrived at 3:45 pm, about 15 minutes before Kira. I took two new setups with me that I just got from Cabela's: seven foot long G. Loomis Mojo Bass rods with Cabela's Prodigy 2500B spinning reels. On one, I tied on a War Eagle black and blue spinnerbait with two colorado blades, and on the other, I tied on a black buzzbait. I threw the buzzbait from the south shore for about 10 minutes with no hits when I saw Kira's truck pull into the lot. As I walked up to the lot to meet her, I realized that I had probably retrieved the buzzbait a little too quickly.

I had my boot foot waders on, so Kira put her waders on, too. We headed down to the south shore, I with my two setups and Kira with what looked like 10 or 20. Shocked I made a conscious effort to slow the retrieve on my buzzbait, but after 10 more minutes with no hits, I switched to the spinnerbait. And wouldn't you know it, on the first cast I caught a little yellow perch. Almost immediately after I released it, Kira caught a pretty green largemouth bass that was probably about 10 inches long. I say probably, because after she removed the hook, she inadvertently dropped it back into the water as she reached for her phone to take a photo of it. She had caught it on a spinnerbait that I think was yellow and white. After the early success, I decided to stick with the spinnerbait. I threw it into the southwest corner of the pond and closer to the east shore. I got no hits. But when I threw it diagonally across the southeast corner of the pond, I landed a largemouth bass that was about 17 inches long and 2-1/2 pounds. Yes, I didn't have either my tape measure or my digital scale with me. But Kira might have gotten a photo of it. It had some of the black splotches that Vudak noticed on the bass he caught at Spring Pond yesterday.

We moved into the southeast corner and I worked a little way up the east shore as it began to rain. I caught a decent 14 inch largemouth bass and then a little 10 incher. Kira got a good hit from a fish that she lost near the shore. As the rain continued to fall and it got darker, I moved closer to the southeast corner and caught a decent calico bass, which was the first one I've caught in a long, long time:

As night began to fall, we moved back to where we started on the south shore. As I was giving the buzzbait a second chance, Vudak (aka John ) appeared out of the darkness. Apparently, he and his wife Crystal had been fishing from the shore where neither Kira nor I could see them. It was nice to finally meet you, John, even if it was in the dark.

Kira and I didn't stay too much longer after John left. Unfortunately, we didn't get any more hits, either. But I really didn't want my car to get trapped in the park when they closed and locked the gate, so we left around 7:50 pm. BTW, the new setups are terrific.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was nice to meet you two as well. Next year we'll have to launch a little armada there and see how we all do Smile

As a corollary, Crystal outdid me again with a single bass off a white double strike buzzbait along the western shore. I had a hit on a black one after stumbling through some branches, but it was a very small fish and didn't take the hook.

I ended up going out with my father this morning from 6:15 - 9:30 or so. The front has moved on and the sky was a perfect blue - uh oh. I was hoping we'd get something though because my dad's had a really rough week with his mother in the hospital. Luckily, he caught the only bass of the day on a black spinner bait, right around where you two were fishing last night.

The fishing was slow, but it was a calm, relaxing day, and I'm glad we decided to go out.

Edit - by the way, you wouldn't believe how much higher the water is from yesterday. Where we were talking is completely submerged.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yes, I would believe you about the water level. Fishface (aka Tim) and I just got back from Bantam River. It really outdid itself proving to me that it's a river and not a stream today. Report to follow. But I envy you the fish you got today. And so would Tim. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think st criox makes the mojo bass rods, i got one in the 6'8 length [spinning] and it is just a sweet rod. nice job catching the fish. Those war eagles are the best spinnerbaits i have ever used
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, St. Croix. That's what I meant. Yeah. . . . Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its all gravy Very Happy
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suck at posting follow-ups. Sorry.
The only noteworthy thing I'd like to add is that all of my bites came on a spinnerbait. The same yellow one with steel leader that caught the pike at Hopeville. I didn't change anything due to rain or even bring any night gear. I just needed to see some water because around day 5 of fishing withdrawal I get the shakes and go into crazy mode.
Here's Phil's 2 bass:

And I did NOT bring "10 or 20" rods, I brought 4!

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking fish!
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Phil!

First time I've seen pictures of you out of the boat standing!
(Thought you'd be Taller! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy )

Sorry! -> Like DD says -> Had to! Laughing Laughing
Nice fish.

SeaDog1
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: What?!?! Reply with quote

Do my waders make me look fat and short? Embarassed Do have to get new ones that are more slimming?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol...he's not short...those are big fish Very Happy
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: What?!?! Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
Do my waders make me look fat and short? Embarassed Do have to get new ones that are more slimming?

I'm sorry Phil! I spent so much effort trying to make your fish to look bigger, I forgot to inform you that you look like a cow. In the future, wear a shorter coat if you don't want to look bottom-heavy, keep at least a third of your coat zipped, and stand sideways with one foot forward. That orange is nice if you don't want to get shot, but is it really worth it? I think not. Oh, and it would help if you catch bigger, more distracting fish.

Those slimming waders are made of neoprene, not rubber (make sure you get black ones!)

Seadog1 - some of our members are a little sensitive/insecure about their appearance. Please try to be more considerate of that in the future.

Very Happy

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kira!

Oooooooooh!
Wow woman, talk about nasty! Shocked

Kira! -> Remind me never to get within casting distance of you when your going thru withdrawal! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Dam Phil! -> All I said was "I thought you'd look taller!" Very Happy Very Happy

Lousy Wx and it seems like everyone is having typical Monday syndrome. Rolling Eyes

Seadog1 Mr. Green
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaDog1 wrote:
Hi Kira!

Oooooooooh!
Wow woman, talk about nasty! Shocked

Kira! -> Remind me never to get within casting distance of you when your going thru withdrawal! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Dam Phil! -> All I said was "I thought you'd look taller!" Very Happy Very Happy

Lousy Wx and it seems like everyone is having typical Monday syndrome. Rolling Eyes

Seadog1 Mr. Green

You have nothing to worry about, as long as I'm holding a rod with a spinnerbait on it. I have about the same confidence and hook-up ratio as a blind parakeet.

SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil you have to remember to let all the water out of your waders before you get your picture taken again in the future. THAT will definitely make you look a little thinner! Wink Very Happy

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: