CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Fly Fishing
Viewing Topic: Buying a Rod; Need Advice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mobydick

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Buying a Rod; Need Advice Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

I'm trying to teach myself to fly fish this summer, and with that, I'm going to need a rod. I've done some research, but I'm still a little unsure of what to buy, so I figured I'd ask you for some advice. I plan to fish in smaller rivers like Salmon River, Blackledge River, Jeremy River, etc. I'm thinking (and could be completely wrong) that I want a 7 foot, soft action rod with a line weight of 4. Would that be a good choice? Or am I completely off? Any advice is appreciated or any suggestions/links for specific rods. Thanks.

P.S. I'm on a limited budget. The cheaper the better.
steve b

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moby,
while the 7 foot rod would be OK I personally would go with an 8 ' for a 4 weight. It will be a whole lot more versitle. The biggest advantage of the 8' rod for smaller streams is line control once it is ont the water. I generally do about 90% of my fishing with a 8' 4wt or a 9' 4 weight. I have about 2 dozen rods for all different types of specialty fishing (mostly steelhead & Euro nymphing) but day in day out it is those 2 rods that get used the most. For you the 8' would be a good starting spot. My one best piece of avice is don't buy a rod without first casting it. if you go to a shop try a few different 8' 4wt. rods pick the one your most comfortable with. If they don't let you cast them find another shop. Also get the best rod you can , look for the most bang for the buck. if you want a few options PM me I will pass long some reviews.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Moby!

In my opinion an 8 or 8.5 ft. 6 weight would be the ideal rod to begin learning on.
You can use 3 different weight lines -> a lighter 5 weight for more delicate presentation - A 6 weight line is a good all around line - And a 7 weight line for faster water and windy days with streamers or weighted flies.

Just because the rod specifies a particular weight -> Doesn't mean you can't use one weight line lighter or one weight line heavier.

SeaDog1
Passinthru Outdoors

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moby I fish those same rivers and even use my 10' 4wt on them. Very Happy I started with a 9 foot 5wt and use it for most of my fishing and as Seadog pointed out I have multple lines now but until a few years ago it was 9' 5wt wf line and I did everything with it and caught many different specifies with it.

Visit my Blog at: www.passinthruoutdoors.blogspot.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Fly Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: