CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Silver Lake Ice fishing first time out Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BassGetHooked

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:05 am    Post subject: Silver Lake Ice fishing first time out Reply with quote

Hey all! It's been a good while since I've posted here on CTFishTalk but I'm glad to be back. I hope you all have had a great holiday and new years!

I got out to the ice on Silver Lake a couple days ago with a buddy of mine. We each set up our tip-ups on that smaller cove straight out and slightly left when stepping off the launch. Good weeds there in pretty shallow water and lots of fish cruising.

Between us, only fishing for a few afternoon hours (2-4:30pm), we iced 5 largemouth, 2 pickeral, and a bullhead. I missed the biggest pickeral I've ever seen at Silver when the ice or his gills/teeth cut my leader. Lots of fun though. Got to set up our new ice fishing shelter as well. That thing is great and sets up quick. Wonderful stuff out on the ice my friends.

Tip ups were rigged with live shiners, most of medium size, with a single hook just by the dorsal fin. Most action occured with the bait high, just a foot or two below the ice. Too deep (5ft or deeper) and there's a good chance your bait will be in weeds.

Best of luck out there, be safe on the ice! Cool

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh, almost forgot...I jigged a little bit for Crappie but had no luck. Was using wax worms on a small glow jig, on an lite ice rod/reel combo. Only jigged for a little bit though and didn't move around so I wasn't surprised the jig bite was slow.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good job, i was out there last week and also had a good day. like you were saying most of the fish came when minnows were set right under ice.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats the most productive spot i've found for consistent action on that lake, although i cant say ive caught anything with size

Last edited by pikePERSUADER1 on Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pikePERSUADER1 wrote:
thats the most productive spot i've found for consistent action on that lake, although i cant say ive caught anything with REAL size to it.

You ain't the only one.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*

Last edited by TurtleKiss on Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:01 am; edited 1 time in total
pikePERSUADER1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha no

Last edited by pikePERSUADER1 on Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: LOL! Reply with quote

pikePERSUADER1 - TurtleKiss is trying to get you arrested! Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry

Last edited by pikePERSUADER1 on Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pikePERSUADER1 wrote:
just to stir things up, lets say the place im talking about produced a 6 1/2, a 7 1/2, and a 9 3/4 pound largies last winter...thats why i wont tell where it is exactly, but im not so secretive that i wouldnt bring people that i know are strictly catch and release there! brought somebody i work with one time and he went back a couple days later with his cousin and they kept two bass over 4 pounds, wont make that mistake twice Mad

I'm strictly catch & release. Let's go.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
pikePERSUADER1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure, i dont have a car though,if someones willing to pick me up in newington near the center of town, i dont have to work this weekend, but im NOT gauranteeing a giant bass your first time there, somedays are better than others ! peco, wanna go too?
steven1smith

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pikePERSUADER1 wrote:
just to stir things up, lets say the place im talking about produced a 6 1/2, a 7 1/2, and a 9 3/4 pound largies last winter...thats why i wont tell where it is exactly, but im not so secretive that i wouldnt bring people that i know are strictly catch and release there! brought somebody i work with one time and he went back a couple days later with his cousin and they kept two bass over 4 pounds, wont make that mistake twice Mad

My signature seems very fitting of this place. Laughing When are we going? Question Very Happy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxCdnQ8WEfQ
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pikePERSUADER1 wrote:
sure, i dont have a car though,if someones willing to pick me up in newington near the center of town, i dont have to work this weekend, but im NOT gauranteeing a giant bass your first time there, somedays are better than others ! peco, wanna go too?

He better go...I'm lucky if my parking lot gets plowed within 48 hours. Sometimes my light little truck can't make it up the 30 degree incline at the end of my street. I live under 2 miles from Newington center though, so it'll be super-convenient for Phil and his reliable transport.

And yes, Home Depot pond is definitely off limits, but I know there's 12 lb largies and 6 ft tiger muskies in there. Probably bowfin too, knowing my luck.

SeaDog1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

And yes, Home Depot pond is definitely off limits, but I know there's 12 lb largies and 6 ft tiger muskies in there. Probably bowfin too, knowing my luck.

Hi Kira!

HD pond off limits Exclamation
Darn that must be fustrating.

Would be like you fishing...........

SeaDog1
SUNNYSLAYER

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey BassGetHooked, what kind of shelter are you using?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: