CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Park Pond 03/06
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Park Pond 03/06 Reply with quote

DirtyDawg10 (aka Derek) and I fished Park Pond today. In the rain. And the gusting south wind. Yes, we're idiots. However, the air temperature held around 47 degrees during the entire time that we were out there. It's funny how conditions that would have made me miserable at the beginning of the ice fishing season are now tolerable to me. While we both got soaked, I never really felt very cold. I suffered only wet prune fingers. Here are a few videos:

Link

Link

Link

We had a blast pulling up tons of little fish, like a couple of 10-year olds. We had so much fun that we stayed on the ice for three hours, from 10:00 am to 1:00 pm. We ended up with one yellow perch and 26 sunnies. Despite all of the rain, it was a very sunny day! Laughing

****Addendum****
I forgot to mention that none of the three bait shops at which we stopped on the way to the pond had northern pike-sized bait, which is why we didn't set any tip-ups. Also, Derek jigged an iridescent gold and brown kodiak jig baited with a waxworm, and I jigged a tiny gold micro jig, really just a gold plated weighted hook that's designed to take a tiny plastic grub tail, baited with as many spikes as I could get onto it. The shishkebab o'maggots outfished the lone waxie by two to one. I think that it was more about the bait than the jig yesterday. Half of my hits came on a slack line with the jig resting on the bottom. I really did feel like a 10-year old, getting all excited about catching sunnies.

Last edited by PECo on Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a fun day even with all the rain. It was good to test out my rain gear and find that it is waterproof with the exception of a small amount of rain that went down my neck and down my sleeves when my hands were up. Some got in through the zippers at the bottom of my pant legs too...but not too bad really considering we were rained on for 3hrs. It was also nice to see the rain and warmth melting the ice. There was still about 19" - 20" out there today.
metalfish

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats. Thats my open water pond. Nice fish in there!
pikePERSUADER1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

park pond near winchester lake???
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, in Winchester. I'm looking forward to paddling/pedaling it later this year.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't get your 2nd e-mail before I left for the lake, so I was on the water at 6:30 am hoping to get some fishing in before the rain. That didn't happen. It was only misting until I actually started fishing - then it was a steady, windy rain. I stayed right in front of the launch waiting for you guys and just jigging around looking for bait. By 8:00 I was wet, cold and had enough. I figured you guys weren't gonna make it because of the rain, so I took off. Sorry I missed you but I'm not a fan of fishing in the rain, especially using a cordless drill to make holes. Maybe next time. It was definately a morning we should have headed south/east instead of north/west. Would have stayed dry for a lot longer. By the way, I left a jigging rod holder on the ice for you guys. Consider it a gift! Rolling Eyes Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn! I'm sorry that we missed you, Damian. Derek has your rod holder. I already have the same one. Derek had a blast picking up free stuff yesterday. He got a fruit and nut oatmeal at McDonalds, found a nice snow brush/ice scraper at the Park and Ride, and found your rod holder on the ice. Plus, I bought him lunch. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What part of the lake did you guys end up fishing? I wanted to walk to the other end where it is deeper. The narrow part looks good, too. Did you guys use tip ups? I had 18 shiners and did not use 1.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You replied to my first post while I was adding information to it. No, we didn't set any tip-ups. If we hadn't found fish while jigging, we would have left after 45 minutes. We walked 1,200 feet into the main body of the pond. At the end of this ice fishing season, I've found that fish aren't relating to structure, but depth. In smaller ponds like the one at Countryside Park, Spring Pond, Lake Compounce and Park Pond, they seem to find the deepest spot and sit on the bottom. At Park Pond, we didn't get on the fish until we got out of the narrows and into the main body of the pond, where the water depth hits 12 feet.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry we missed you Damian. I do have your rod holder. Next time I see you on Bantam I'll bring it. Those must have been your holes we were using. We mostly used your holes but drilled about 4 or 5 out in the middle of the pond which is where we pulled up most of the sunfish. We didn't set up any tip-ups.
Fishface

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job guys, sorry I missed out, it was raining to hard in N.B by 8:00 am. Thanks for the invite Phil

Tim
Flipper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil - That's funny and typical. I got your e-mail earlier in the day, but we were at Mystic Aquarium. After we got home and I remembered, I was already in bed and replied from my daughters ipod. Hope it's good weather this weekend cause we will be running out of ice soon. The pike are trying to get fat for spawning right now and will be heavier than any other time of the year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: