CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help
Viewing Topic: Meguiars Gelcoat Restoration Kit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjpd_00

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Meguiars Gelcoat Restoration Kit Reply with quote

Hey guys, I have a 1985 stratos that has seen it's better days. the gelcoat is pretty dull and not looking very good anymore so I was thinking about trying to clean it up and bring back alittle bit of the shine it once had so I was wondering if anyone has tried the Meguiars gelcoat restoration kit from westmarine. its about $40 so I don't want to waste money on something that might not work. If anyone has any other ideas I would appreciate your input. Thanks!
BASSINJAYCT

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JUST GO TO THE AUTO PARTS STORE AND GET RUBBING COMPUND IT WILL DO THE SAME THING FOR HALF THE PRICE IT WILL TAKE SOME ELBOW GREASE BUT YOU CAN GET THE SHINE BACK .IF YOU HAVE A ELECTRIC BUFFER IT MAKES THE JOB ALOT FASTER
cjpd_00

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome, thanks for the info I will try that first
flippy

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Cj, rubbing compound will work, the only thing is that it might stain,if I were you I would definetly do Mcguires, they specialize in their products, I have used rubbing compounds, like turtlewax and they stain,I like to machine sand with 3M micro finishing compound , if your gelcoat feels like 180 grit sandpaper, you should fine sand the gelcoat (wet sand) with 400 to 600 grit and then seal the gelcoat and then polish, and Mcguires is the way to go, you could look into re gel coating it, depends on who you know cause it could be expensive. I have found that re gel coating it is the way to go, I have used auto clear on boats and the clear chips fairly easy, especially when a 3/4 oz weight nails it,gelcoat will chip to but not nearly as bad, if you have any questions pm me and I will try to help you out. Ive used alot of West Marine products from polishes to gelcoat systems. And they make some kickin products.If you can get a good shine from a wax, just remember you are going to have to keep on top of it because it will dull very quickly, because the gelcoat is shot. Good Luck.
hoppy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just saw this post and thought i would add to it since i just did the top of my 2000 Triton.

The top had zero shine and was a very dull flat white. when you wiped your hand over it you would get a white chalk rub off. Here is how to get that shine back to the clearcoat. The clearcoat on a boat is probably 1/4" thick so dont be afraid to sand it. I used 1500 grit and wetsanded the entire area i was doing. approx 10 strokes or so in an area. keeping it wet is key and allows the sand paper to run smooth. be careful on sharp edges and just go back and fourth.
once the area has been sanded wipe it clean with a wet rag followed by a dry rag. Next step.........i found the light compounds to be to much work and used a heavier compound and buffer to bring back the shine. Slow even strokes with the buffer, you will see the dead spots you missed, add abit more comnpound and hit them. Once you are happy with that area and you see a nice even shiny surface move on the next area. Once you have componded the entire boat you have to then cover it in wax. choose your poison. any wax will do. you can and may repeat the wet sanding/compounding process to really really make her shine. It really just depends on how much time you want to invest in it. a few hours and i was amazed how well i was able to get mine back. i was scared of wet sanding before this and its really easy to do. take your time thats all and dont rush it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: