CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Please help me...where to go to try the CT River.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptainHookset

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Please help me...where to go to try the CT River. Reply with quote

Hey, I love this forum, and read it almost daily, but very rarely post anything. After seeing some of PECo's dedicated posts, I now want to ask if you guys can help me pop my CT river proverbial cherry.

I live in North Haven, and I have a small plastic bass boat that me and a buddy bought off a guy 5 years ago. We often take it to smaller bodies of water like Hayward, North Farms, Beseck, Wintergreen, etc. We stay clear of places that have big bass boats because our wussy vessel cant handle the motion in the ocean so to speak.

I absolutely am in love with smallmouth bass. And it seems the CT river is a place I may be able to catch a couple.

SO here we go...can someone give me SPECIFIC places where I can go to fish the CT river...either by boat, or even places to stand on shore with AMPLE casting room..preferably for two so my buddy can come with me.

I guess there is a lauch near the Godspeed Opera House? Where else is a good place for me to get started on the river?

Thanks.
Flipper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Enfield and I can tell you that there is a ton of SMB up this way. From Windsor north to the state line has many access points to fish from shore. Right now the water is so low and slow that your plastic boat would probably be OK, too. I'll give a spot I used to fish all the time w/ lots of success.

In Enfield there is place called Kings Island Boat Launch off Bridge St from RT 5. It is shallow and rocky and full of smallmouth. Wade straight out from the launch until you reach the island. Take a left and walk to the other end of the island. There is a small sandy beach with deeper water in front. That's the spot. If action gets slow, throw a nightcrawler out onto the bottom for some cats. Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best smb fishing in the CT river north of windsor is going to be only accessible by canoe/kayak and or lots and lots of wading.

I had great luck last year at a number of spots. Launch at Kings Island and drift down to the Dexter Coffin bridge, there is great fish in both the shallow riffles and deeper pools by the bridges. Also all along the canal rail trial there is great spots if your willing to put the time in wading up and down to find them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: