CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Trout Fishing
Viewing Topic: what kind of trout?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dukebd21

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: what kind of trout? Reply with quote

Hey a buddy of mine dug up this pic of a trout he caught about 12 years ago. Claims its a golden trout but I thought they were only found on the west coast and at higher elevations. This was caught in Trumbull, CT in a lake. Looks more like a yellow trout to me. Any ideas? Seems rare for CT as ive never caught anything like it and have been fishing my whole life.

[/img]
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no trout expert, but it looks like a golden to me.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

That is a Golden Rainbow -> Also known as a Palomino Trout.
A mutant strain of rainbow originally, I belive. breed in Penn.

True Golden trout are only found out west in high alpine lakes and ponds and always have these beautiful par markings on their sides.

SeaDog1

P.S. There also is a Blue Rainbow Trout strain that is an actual sky blue in color!

Last edited by SeaDog1 on Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Drew

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The state tried them in ponds and lakes some years back in limited numbers for quite a few years. The state was referring to them as Golden Trout when they were in fact not as stated previously. They often looked gold when they were near the surface. I believe they were also trying Sunapee trout as well at the same time. They were also called Golden Trout locally

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CT RIVER
Every Tuesday Night @ 5 p.m.
EAST HARTFORD LAUNCH
$10 Per Person
Winner Take All!
sgtdemps

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The below statement is from the Pennsylvania DEP in response to a similar question:

The orangish trout stocked by the Commission are accurately called "golden rainbow trout."
The golden rainbow trout originated from a single rainbow trout that was spawned in the fall of 1954 in West Virginia. This trout's body color was a chimera of golden and normally pigmented tissue. When this fish was crossed with a normally pigmented rainbow trout, the offspring (what we have come to refer to as palomino rainbow trout) were lighter in color.

Golden rainbow trout and palomino rainbow trout are not sterile hybrids, they are simply color variations of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) and should not be confused with the golden trout (Oncorhynchus aguabonita) native to a few drainages in California. It took selective breeding for several generations to result in the development of true breeding golden rainbow trout. Typically, these fish are more of a brilliant golden color than the palomino rainbow trout, which has a color phase intermediate between the golden and normally pigmented rainbow trout.

In Pennsylvania, the rise of the palomino rainbow trout stemmed from obtaining fertilized golden rainbow trout eggs from West Virginia. Subsequently, when these golden rainbow trout reached maturity, they were crossed with normally pigmented rainbow trout and the offspring resulted in the development of the palomino rainbow trout. The initial stockings of palomino rainbow trout in Pennsylvania waters occurred during the 1967 season. At present, however, due to their more brilliant coloration, we use golden rainbow trout exclusively for production purposes rather than the lighter palomino rainbow trout.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive caught a few over the years of Golden in Ct. Its not very often but they do pop up here and there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Trout Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: