CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Fishing
Viewing Topic: where to get stripers from shore?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drawnon

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: where to get stripers from shore? Reply with quote

Hey every one, howzit going? Could anyone tell me where to hunt for striper on the ct river from shore? I’ve been dying to go surfcasting, but cant afford the equipment due to me being laid off. So I figured Id string my medium ugly stick with some heavy line, and see what I can do from the shore of the ct river. Any suggestions? Kind of lure? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’m from Bristol by the way. I don’t mind a ride either.
Thanks
James
drawnon

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

come on now...
anybody?
somebody must have a little bit of info. im a newbie. im not gonna steal all the stripers out of the ct river. i just want one.
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know how to get strippers from shore:) Your best bet is get a map of the CT river and get some tips from a tackle shop. If you are near Wethersfield, CT Outfitters is a great bait shop and they will give you intel.

Here is a link to the weekly fishing reports posted by the DEP that will tell where they are catching.

http://www.ct.gov/Dep/cwp/view.asp?a=2696&q=322752&depNav_GID=1630

I don't fish from shore for stripers so I am not really any help. Rocky Hill Fairy has a nice dock you can fish off of and same with Hartfor and East hartford. The mouth always has fish in it.

Sorry, my knowledge is limited. I usually fish the Long Island Sound and Montauk for stripers.

Justin

Last edited by Bass Addict on Fri May 22, 2009 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
BoSox46GSR

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bass Addict wrote:
I know how to get strippers from shore:) Your best bet is get a map of the CT river and get some tips from a tackle shop. If you are near Wethersfield, CT Outfitters is a great bait shop and they will give you intel.

Here is a link to the weekly fishing reports posted by the DMV that will tell where they are catching.

http://www.ct.gov/Dep/cwp/view.asp?a=2696&q=322752&depNav_GID=1630

I don't fish from shore for stripers so I am not really any help. Rocky Hill Fairy has a nice dock you can fish off of and same with Hartfor and East hartford. The mouth always has fish in it.

Sorry, my knowledge is limited. I usually fish the Long Island Sound and Montauk for stripers.

DMV huh? I had no idea... lol Wink just bustin balls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-ReoBPl4mM
I'm having very good time! Good time for arr!
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are catching stripers from Charter Oak Landing in Windsor, Cromwell and Rocky Hill shorelines and some spots at the mouth of Salmon River Cove. Obviously the further south you go and get closer to the ocean the better your chances of catching the bigger ones get. I believe there is no fishing allowed off the docks at the Rocky Hill Ferry launch so that may be out but you can still fish from the shore.

Jim
anointed130

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard of the Charter Oak Landing, where is that located at?

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anointed130 wrote:
I have heard of the Charter Oak Landing, where is that located at?

My bad, should have been "and" not in after Charter Oak Landing as it is not in Windsor. Charter Oak Landing is next to the power station on the river in Hartford. From I-91 you can see the rock jetty that goes out into the river next to the power station. Also in Windsor, guys have been fishing right at the base of the Bissell Bridge that carries 291 over the CT River.

Jim
drawnon

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys....
now im gonna steal ALL the striper!!! muuhaa ha ha Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Just4fun

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a real nice fishing pier on the old lyme side of the river near the CT rivermouth if you want to drive. Even after the striper fishing upriver has ended, you can still cath them down near the mouth, all through summer and fall. To get to the fishing pier, you go over the I-95 bridge into old lyme and take the very first exit,...turn right at the end of the ramp and follow it for about half a mile until you see a sign that says "coast guard something-or-other..." on the right. The parking lot and entrance to the fishing pier is in there.
Most everyone that fishes from shore uses bait though! Sandworms or cut up "bunker" (I believe it's sold frozen in the baitshops) are the usual baits! Also, the best time to catch stripers is actually at night and then around sun-up and sun-down.
Esox CT

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deep River Town landing, and the ferry landing on the East Haddam side, near Gillete's Castle.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drawnon wrote:
thanks guys....
now im gonna steal ALL the striper!!! muuhaa ha ha Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
I don't believe you!!!!
Just stick to the limit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-ReoBPl4mM
I'm having very good time! Good time for arr!
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a designated fishing dock at Rocky Hill Ferry launch and a lot of people catching at the right tides.

Justin
drawnon

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very very awesome. thanks for the tips.
striper71

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Stripers Reply with quote

Hey I go to Branford point its I95 north exit 52 short beach. End of exit take a right then next left follow until you see a boat launch sign and take a left. At the end take a right and straight down is the huge dock. Great stripers and blues! I just pulled out a 10lb striper not bad for my first time out. Its great and you come across very friendly fisherman. Hope this helps.
Ace

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just4Fun is talking about the DEP dock in Old Lyme. There's a nice boardwalk there that goes all the way out to the mouth of the river. I use sand worms and eels. Sometimes it can get somewhat crowded there but usually not too bad, just people talking walks, crabbing, etc. Go at night!

waiting for a jerk on the other."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: