CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Stillwater 8-20-11 Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flippy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Stillwater 8-20-11 Reply with quote

Had doctors appointment today, then my buddy Henry calls me and asks if Im going to work,,, I knew what he wanted to do so I instantly got sick Embarassed When I got home he was waiting for me with his canoe, so I ran in the back yard and grabbed mine, threw it in his truck and we were off,,I asked him what lake or pond,, he said Stillwater,,as soon as we got there I saw what I was going to do,, he stayed AT FIRST along the bank pitching jigs to wood,, I rowed, rowed my canoe to the northern end,, as I was rowing I heard him giggle a few times,, I knew he was catching fish,, so he opens his big mouth and asks for a friendly tourny,, I scream back at him and told him to save his biggest one,, we always challenge eachother,, so I get half way up and notice the vegetation,, Uh OH,, Henrys in trouble Twisted Evil I first worked the area with a frog,, yes it was a Spro,, after around the 10th cast,, this fish let me know I was in the right area,, I missed her,, My blood is now pumping,, my big gun comes out,, I stand up and start,, You know it FLIPPIN,, my first flip, my bait gets destroyed on the fall,I found them with the lillys and the bladderwort met, I hear Henry screaming at me saying He didnt know I had a flippin stick,,all of a sudden my stomach decides it wasnt feeling good,,I pull off to the shore and make my way till I found these 2 rocks that suited me, so after I was done I come walking back through the woods putting on my shoe, because I used a sock,,Henry is laughing at me,, so he starts flipping where I was,, 8ft to 10ft of water was the ticket,, we boated some bruisers, my biggest was 5.2lbs on a Rapala scale,, Henrys was 4.6lbs,, all in all it was a great day,, we caught 8 fish over 3lbs,, and Henry got a few with a jig but they were only 2lbers,, Stillwater could become 1 of my favorite small ponds Razz
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi flippy,

Good for you man!
I've posted before that Stillwater gets little pressure because gas motors aren't allowed.
Just electric and paddle.
Lots of good bass waters there.

SeaDog1
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's stocked trout that make largemouth bass grow so big. And Stillwater Pond has them.

I'm glad that you found the fish there, Jim.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why is that phil? aren't stocked trout generally too large for your average largemouth to eat, or am i underestimating their appetite?

Still searching for some toothy critters big enough to be worth weighing...
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You underestimate the eating ability of largemouth bass, Jon. I recently read an article in the September/October 2011 issue of Bass Master magazine called "Lessons from the Death of Dottie". Dottie was the California largemouth bass that was last caught, weighed and released in Lake Dixon in 2006, when she was 25.10 pounds. Her carcass was found in 2008, and the article discusses the growth factors that produce a trophy largemouth bass like Dottie. The author concluded that the X factor in her case was the availability of large numbers of stocked trout to eat in Lake Dixon.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i can see a 25 pounder eating trout for sure, i just didnt think that our generally under-10-pound new england bass could handle a meal like that!

Still searching for some toothy critters big enough to be worth weighing...
Flipper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since CT stocks such little trout, some of the bigger ones could (I'd imagine). The southern bass also get so big because of the longer growing season. There is also a baitfish called ciscoes (I've read about) that is abundant in the southern part of the country. I guess it is very oily and helps the predator fish get big quick. We don't really have any oily schooling baitfish around here that I am aware of. Landlocked alewives in a few lakes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!

Last edited by SAP284 on Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
flippy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well first of all ,,,those who know me know that I usually dont take pictures, I barely carry a phone with me,besides, a 5lber isnt rare,I get mad catching chunky 3lbers,, and for the trout,, I throw a 8 inch swimbait in trout,, Ive caught 5 and 6lb bass with it,,Yes Seadog Ive read what you said about Stillwater,, and you are right Wink
SAP284

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh okay. Yeah if I was catching 6lbers often I would be sending those in for the DEP Trophy Program lol. Thats awesome that you are catching those.

-Steve
flippy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Sap,,, for a pin??? whooopie,, you never caught a 6lber?? on average I catch 2 to 5lbers, Like I said,, people that know me and some of the fish I catch, arent picture worthy to me,, Ive been fishing for a long time, and have done numerous tournys, Now for you to come back and Oh OK,, makes me seem you dont believe me,, I will tell you what,, if you know the fishing community,ask them,, My name is Jim S, Hell Ive even caught a 8lb walleye on Candlewood,, and that was during a tourny,, Back in 2003,and I was fishing with ZMAN,, My biggest fish is a 13lber I caught in Florida in the stick marsh, granted on live bait, but that was the only way to get them,, Now before you start smack talking,, get your info straight,, why would I lie,, on fishing,,Now if you want to start talking smack,,, Put your money where your mouth is,, and I will meet you and have a little tourny,,or If you tourny fish,,, then I probably know you,, Ive been seriously targeting bass for over 20 years,, and have been tourny fishing for 15 years,, so if you want to start,, like I said I will pm you with my phone# and we will set up a date,,, where ever you want,, smaller waters are easier for me to target,,, let me know Wink Then you can take pictures of my fish Twisted Evil
watthe555

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont underestimate what you have flippy because i am still young but the guy just wants to see pictures, is there something wrong with that? fishing for most guys is to have fun instead of tournaments all the time. and i don't blame SAP, its hard to trust people these days.

Last edited by watthe555 on Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa! Whoa! .....WHOA!

OK! That's enough from both you school girls.
Give it a rest and stow the foul language away!

YES! -> I do get into disagreements with others here on the forum.....But try to take to the PM's.
That's where it belongs!

Beat your brains out there!

Sportsmanship -> Gentlemen -> Sportsmanship Exclamation

Not school yard bullying!

Cheeeeeech!
SeaDog1
flippy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seadog,, Who are you calling school girls,, and what foul language,, Oh by the way watthe555 PM SENT Exclamation And Seadog,,, you get in arguements with EVERYBODY Laughing
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, Jim, the kid didn't call you a liar or shoot your dog. Rolling Eyes He just asked to see photos of some of the fish that you've caught. Are your bowels still acting up on you? Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: