CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help
Viewing Topic: New Kayak!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
therieldeal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: New Kayak! Reply with quote

Well, this past winter I had considered getting a kayak… until this spring when someone gave me a little 10’ John boat. That thing is great to fish out of, but not terribly fun to row around all over the place exploring. I recently started hanging out with a girl who happened to mention that she was REALLY interested in going kayaking, but never had anyone to go with. Well, we wound up going to Ocean State Job Lot yesterday, and picked up a pair of Coleman Hooligan 85 kayaks. I know its not the best kayak in the world, but it was somewhat spur of the moment and they were pretty affordable. If these were a truly terrible choice please let me know… they had one other model called the “Tiger Shark” for the same price ($200), but it seemed narrower and the seat looked less comfortable.

We haven’t even been on the water yet, but I was wondering if there were any upgrades or additional equipment that you avid kayakers would recommend I pick up before this weekend? I noticed when we got home that they don’t have foot rests, I thought this was unusual. Can they be added… should they be added?? I’m definitely going to get some flush mount rod holders, but I’m not worried about getting them installed right away. This weekend we’ll primarily be figuring out how to paddle I think haha!

Still searching for some toothy critters big enough to be worth weighing...
Flipper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For $200 you could have probably found a used small motor for the boat!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah probably… but I’d rather save up a bit and try to find a slightly larger boat perhaps 12 or 14 foot with motor/trailer/etc. My john boat is just a narrow 10 footer, only rated for 250 pounds and 2.5 horsepower. Something I was thinking about doing for next spring… would still need to get my boating license too.

bdiggy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be legal out there, you need to have life vests and marine whistles. Foot pegs are nice, but I suppose they may not be necessary. Take them for a ride and then decide if you need to upgrade. No point in spending more on it if it feels good to you the way it is. Cool
therieldeal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

already have life vests and a whistle for when i'm out in the john boat, so thats no problem. i suppose since i've never paddled with foot pegs, maybe i wont miss them? haha

PECo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a boat that small (i.e., eight feet, three inches long) there isn't even room for footpegs. I still have a Pelican Pursuit 80 DLX kayak that's only eight feet long. I never missed footpegs in it, because my feet wedge against both the hull and the deck at the same time. Confused I suggest that you get a non-absorbent pad on which to sit. It'll save your a$$ and lower back.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil you were 100% correct about not needing foot pegs, i can do the same thing with my feet in this kayak. the seats on these are actually pretty comfortable, padded bottom and back! i am of course a very inexperienced paddler, but the boat really doesnt track very well... probably because it is so short and wide. any thoughts on adding a skeg? i was thinking it would be pretty simple to make a removable skeg and attach it to the back like a rudder...

i caught my first fish out of it yesterday, definitely need to add a flush mount rod holder or two Smile

PECo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, in general, longer boats tend to track better. They make deployable rudders for kayaks, but they tend to be expensive. I never had any trouble with the tracking in my Pursuit DLX, but I never put it into difficult water.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: