CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater
Viewing Topic: Thames Winter Stripers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
therieldeal

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Thames Winter Stripers Reply with quote

Anyone have any suggestions as to where i can try fishing for striper schoolies on the Thames this winter? I read about the Howard T Brown park in Norwich... is this a worthwhile spot in winter? Any help would be appreciated!

Still searching for some toothy critters big enough to be worth weighing...
Dave N.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Thames River Stripers Reply with quote

Yes you're on the right track, the norwich harbor is as good a place as any to fish. Just don't know if you're boating or shore angling. From a boat its easy to locate the schools of bass, however; tightly packed schools usually means poor fishing. Try drifting small 4-6" plastics, i.e. fin-s fish among the schools. Some of the bigger fish, and I mean keeper size, always seem to come on a big ol' chunk of bunker fished right under the dock. Kinda like "set it and forget it" Wink Good luck if you go down there and let us know how you do.
therieldeal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips! No boat here, at least not yet. Well, I have a kayak and a little Jon boat, not sure I’d want to be rowing/paddling around the harbor in freezing temps though! Will definitely be fishing from shore this winter if I go. Do you recommend fishing the plastics on a jig head or un-weighted? If on a jig head, how heavy? I’m assuming they normally hold close to the bottom?

Dave N.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Norwich Stripers Reply with quote

I typically use a 3/8oz jighead like shown below You'll want to cast it, let it sink 5-8sec then twitch and retrieve kinda like an underwater popper. Play around with the depths and speed of retrieve. Good Fishin'! Wink
therieldeal

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave! I have only fished for stripers a couple times... and only caught one, so I can definitely make good use of these tips Smile

toonces

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

had any luck out there yet? i'm looking for some winter spots too. thanks!
therieldeal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

been very busy with the holidays etc... havent had a chance to make it down there yet. hopefully soon! Look up Howard T Brown park in norwich, apparently there is a pier there which you can fish from

fishingkid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you should really use a 4 inch Fin-S on a jig head. You should also try 4 inch Gulp smelts rigged in the same way. They look very similar to a Fin-s but have that extra scent juice. I've had good luck with the gulp smelts for schoolies. You should give it a try. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: