CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Park Pond 01/30
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Park Pond 01/30 Reply with quote

I met up with metalfish (aka Ian) on Park Pond at 11:30 am:

He had gotten on the ice around 10:00 am, I think. The ice was dry and mostly eight inches thick, if I remember correctly. It was cccold and windy. The north wind blew from 10 to 20 miles per hour most of the time that we were out there. At one point, I almost lost my sling chair as it blew away from me. We went down the west shore toward the dam. I set five traps along the way:

To make a long story short we got nothing heading down the shore, so we headed back toward the narrows. Before we got there, Ian wanted to try the last cove. I'm glad that we stopped, because I finally got a hit and jigged up a small yellow perch:

Yeah, I know it's not much, but my standards get pretty low during the Winter. Wink After we decided to head off of the ice, I went to collect my traps. When I caught up with Ian, he had jigged up a small sunny:

We got off the ice around 3:30 pm. We didn't catch much and it was cold and windy, but we still enjoyed a beautiful day:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least you caught something.

Small perch like that are good bait for bigger bass, pike, pickerel, and walleye if you rig it like a shiner on a tip up.

Hopefully the ice will still be safe with the recent temps.
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Park Pond and Lake Winchester are at an altitude of over 1,300 feet and the daytime temperatures are forecast to stay below 40 degrees through the weekend, so they'd probably both be safe bets for good ice this weekend.

I forgot to mention that I got to hear ice expansion noises for the first time this year while Ian and I were on the ice. For those who haven't heard them, they're loud, they travel around, and they sound like felled trees or whale calls. It's freaky when you hear a cracking noise and it travels toward you. Last year on the lower pond at Nod Brook WMA, an expansion crack raced underneath jonnyfly00 (aka Jon) while he was sitting in a sling chair. He jumped a mile straight up into the air. It was absolutely hilarious! Laughing

Last edited by PECo on Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
hila2006

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being from farther north, and growing up ice fishing, I've seen and heard lots of cracks on the ice. They most certainly are unnerving to say the least. Early in the season is when most occur and seem to be the loudest. I've grown used to them, and don't even flinch anymore, the wife on the other hand, is another story, but she's gotten better to. As long as the ice is not too white and foamy looking(black ice is the best), and at least 5" thick, I've always felt safe.
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a big crack in the ice where one side had heaved up about 1/4 inch. I really don't mind expansion cracks or noises. The ice was singing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: craaaaaaaaaaaaaaack Reply with quote

I wish i would hear that ,
it means ice is getting thicker,not this season yet. Smile
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's definitely getting thinner right now.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on Park Pond today from 3:00 to 5:00. Managed 3 gills. Park still had 6ish inches of ice.
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where on the pond did you fish? I'd like to set some traps by the dam with the bait on the bottom the next time that I'm there.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We avoided the skunk. Thanks for coming out and also thanks for the coco. IT WAS GOOD \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: